What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any growing/germinating tips for...

So I decided to sow some seed last night. Anyone know if there's anything I should pay attention to for the following:

D. glabripes
D. sessilifolia
D. banksii - Finnis River, NT
D. broomensis
D. kaieteurensis

You have a nice assortment of seeds, I hope they all prove to be true species for you!

Standard germination protocol will serve for D. sessilifolia, D. glabripes, and D. kaieteurensis (the latter is a frequently misidentified species in collections) 50/50 sand/peat.

D. banksii might require smoke of GA3 stratification, and generally cool conditions. Gritty sand/peat 70/30. Winter growing.

D. broomensis is best sown when the soil medium can be kept at least 70F day and night. It is a heat loving species.
LFS/pearlite/laterite 50/25/25 or 50/50 LFS/pearlite.

Thanks Tamlin, it means a lot coming from the king of dews.
wink.gif

So...D. sessilifolia, D. glabripes, and D. kaieteurensis it's the standard...D. broomensis is in a room that's almost 80 constantly...if it wants more heat...I got a light with a nice hot ballast for it...as far as D. banksii...hmm, one day i'll get some GA3 and get more seed.
wink.gif
Hey, if I burn a bunch of sphagnum in front of a dehumidifier, would I get something like smoke water?
tounge.gif
I'll keep it away from the D. broomensis area.

Hmm, would D. indica - Taiwan be good to grow in the same area as broomensis and falconeri then?

I dont know about the other species, but I planted sessilifolia seeds on peat/sand/perlite, and they were growing fine, but they just kindda stoped after a while. So I transplanted them to milled LFS, and just after a day or so, they are doing 3 times better than before.

Cole

Drosera indica likes it hot too, so this would go well in the same conditions as D. broomensis.

Vertigo,

I did a bit of poking around, and actually the D. banksii is more closely related to the Petiolaris Complex, so I assume this annual will appreciate the same hot temps.

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like they should be happy. The room they're in is at least 80, with an average humidity of 70%, that's outside of a tank on a dry shelf btw. I have a 33w fluorescent that runs hot, so it'll give them that little extra that I know falconeri loves.
smile.gif

Back