What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. binata flowering

vft guy in SJ

VFT and Drosera lover
Hey all...

I have a D. binata, that has started to flower. My problem is that there are only 2 open leaves on this plant and 1 small one starting to unroll. This flower stalk has been growing for a couple weeks now, just last night I realized that it is in fact a flower stalk and not a large leaf. If I allow it to continue will it overstress and kill the plant especially given the lack of other leaves to help nourish it? Should I clip in off now or is it too late? Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Steve

From what I understand, flower stalks do not stress Drosera nearly as much as something like a VFT, so I would think it would be okay. Besides, isn't most of the energy already expended by the time it's been growing for that long?

Wish I could help more, but I'm not an expert on this. If it helps I have an only pseudo-healthy D Intermedia that is working on a second stalk right now and I've seen no ill effects.

Well I was reading last night that binata cannot be "selfed", and being that I have no others to cross it with, I went ahead and clipped the flower off today. I would much rather the plant use its energy producing leaves than flowers right now anyway.

Thanks Nick for the reply
Steve

Back