What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Capensis

This pic is for all you Capenis lovers out there!  Notice the hundreds of baby plants?!  If only every capensis enthusiast had this kind of luck  
tounge.gif

enjoy,
Homer

capensis.jpg

Homer,
Geocities does not allow hyperlinking to outside sites. If you want to display your picture on this thread you will need to host it elsewhere. PFT offers 2mb of free webspace that you can use to host your pictures and will allow you to link the way you intended.

Here is the link to the PFT webspace: http://home.petflytrap.com/
Simply scroll to the bottom and clik create account and follow the instructions from there.

Good luck
Steve

ps. Very nice looking plant.
smile.gif

Thanks Steve! I was wondering what was going on.

Wow!  That's a nice carpet.   I was pretty impressed with the capensis at the NE CP show last Saturday:

2003101110-NECPS-CP-show-D.capensis.jpg

Let 'em all grow, and you'll end up with that. Wow!

D muscipula,
That is a nice looking pot of D. capensis.  I think I'll try the same thing with a bunch of seedlings I've been wondering what to do with.
biggrin.gif

alien.gif

Yeah, Matt's Roridula dentata and Brocchinia reducta (sp?) on either side of it weren't bad, either.
wink.gif

D muscipula,
Thanks.  Just so you all know, I do have 2 pots similar to the pic you showed outside.  The capensis do pretty good out there and flower profusely until it frosts
confused.gif
I have since forgotten where I got them... I guess I just keep dividing pots that are full.  The capensis in my pic apparently sprung up from the dead leaves that lay on the soil, or perhaps spring up from the roots like adalae?

-Homer

"This pic is for all you Capenis lovers out there! "

errr, you might want to rethink how you spell D. capensis (blush).

Haha. That's funny. That's what I get for posting a message late in the day when I get up at 5AM. Oh well.
-Homer

Have to add to D. Muscipula's pic....Here is a shot I caught of that huge capensis pot when the floweres openned (don't pay attention to the label at the top left....that was on a different plant):
NECPSdrosera4.jpg.JPG

Did those babies come from the roots of the big plants or from their seeds?

Both! And sometimes from leaves lying on the soil...they're like reproducing rabbits!

There are really nice pics... if only capensis would grow well here
smile.gif

What's the average temp in which u guys grow capensis in? I'm thinking of putting it in an air-conditioned room for the night.

I was advised by a member of this forum that the humidty in Singapore could be too high for D. capensis to grow decently. Recently, my last surving capensis [D. capensis 'Red'] finally went to the great garden up there.
sad.gif

Are you people for real?  I didn't think there was anywhere that capensis wouldn't grow!
wink.gif

It certainly grows fine for me without a cool night.  During this last summer it was 85-90F daytime and 75-80F night, but the previous year, my room was easily up to 95-100F at times, and seldom got below 85F for days at a time.  In addition, the capensis sat in an open terrarium on a southern windowsill, which probably stayed warmer than the surrounding room.

The ceph and ventricosa did fine, too, strangely enough. It's amazing what these plants can do before you find out what they can't do... then they don't let you get away with anything!

i have a potfull of seedlings about 2 - 3 months younger does anyone want them they are taking up space

(TRADE)

D muscipula, unfortunately, yes, we are for real
smile.gif

I have no idea why it is like that, but the other Singaporeans have pointed out, it cld be humidity, heat, etc etc... My first one died after I repotted it, tho it did decrease rapidly in size (then showing new gorwth again) in the few mths I had it b4 repotting it.

My current pot is growing, but its leaves are dying young, and flower stalks die before all the flowers open, hence no seeds.

I have been giving the Singapore problem some thought. It seems unlikely the problem could be humidity, but I think the issue of a night time drop in temperature might be an issue. How much of a night time drop do you get where you are?

Not much I think... possibly less than 2-3 degrees C? I'm not too sure but I don't feel it's much different
smile.gif

Perhaps the other Singapore members would provide better estimates.

Tamlin,
I don't believe night-time drop in temp would be a problem.  I have some Capensis growing outdoors year around and they do just fine... better results than indoors in fact.  The nighttime temps have been getting down to the low 40's and high 30's F and the day temps to the low 60's.

Last winter, the outdoor temp got down to 18 F several nights in a row, and the capensis roots survived, and came back this spring.

I have also noticed that when I placed a capensis pot (that got in the way inside) outside it kind of goes into a funk and then sprouts back soonthereafter the same as before (The Pheonix Plant).  I would suggest giving it some time before giving up on these plants.

-Homer

Back