What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tuberous drosera source & humidity

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know the humidity requirement for rosetted tuberous drosera(or better yet, does anyone grow these)? Do they grow naturally alongside pygmy droserae in their natural habitat?

I am also looking for a source in the states for these guys.
Any help is appreciated
smile.gif

Hi,

I grow a few tuberous rosetted Drosera (bulbosa, erythrorhiza, macrophylla, lowriei, rosulata, whittakeri and zonaria).
I grow them in a relativly cool room (10-15°C in winter) with a south facing window and some artificial light (more next winter, because they need a lots of light). They are placed at the windowsill like all other tuberous Drosera with humidity between 40% and 70%.

They produce only very few "glue" and if they loose theire glue drops they will never recover.
They catch few or no insects.

Almost all of my tuberous Drosera are imported from Australia(and taken from nature). :-(
I hope that I can get all of my future tuberous plants from trades with other growers.

Martin

Drosera whittakeri ssp. aberans :
dr_whit_abe02.jpg

I have grown D. whittakeri ssp. whittakeri for over a year and it is fairly easy. As Martin mentions the tuberous Drosera need lots of sun and cool temps during the winter growing season to do well.

The nice thing about whittakeri is that it doesn't mind staying fairly wet during the summer dormant period.

I just got a bunch of tubers from Czech Republic so we will see how they do long term. I love the tuberous Drosera and this is one area I am putting more focus.
Tony

The tuberous i own are macrantha and auriticulata, both as single seedlings. Im also interested in tuberous dews.

Martin, is that the flavour of plant thatis on the cover of "Carnivorous Plants of the World" by James and Patricia Pietropalo?

Sorry, I didn't understand the question
"flavour of plant" ?

The plants on the cover of "CPs of the world" seem to be Dr. whittakeris ssp. aberans, too. Dr whittakeri ssp. whittakeri has more flowers stalks. (Lowrie III)

Martin

CP2k,

I purchase my D. peltata from California Carnivores. They're not listed on their website, but they have them in stock.

I have a some peltata growing in my terrarium. I would import tuberous droserae from AU, but they would start to grow during the summer(temperatures~80-90 daytime-too hot). I have not found any sources in the US for rosetted tuberous droserae. The only tuberous drosera I have seen for sale here is D.peltata.

Peter D'Amato at the Spring BACPS meeting was selling some tuberous like ramellosa (spellling wrong?) , peltata, and a small whittakeri before thier summer dormancies. Im going to talk to him again for some new tuberous dews.

Sorry, Martin... That was just me being stupid. But yes, you answered my question right. Thanks
wink.gif

Hello

Don't come into this room too often but the tuberous Drosera title caught my eye.
I am from Perth in Western Australia which is where many of the tuberous Drosera originate. They were my first CP's and the ones that got me into CP's in the first place.

Yep, I'm afraid I used to collect them directly from the wild but if it's any consolation I grew up in an area where new houses were being built all around us and I collected the Drosera from land that had been cleared for housing. They would have been built over anyway. There are still MANY places like that in Perth and it is easy to collect plants that would otherwise be wasted.

Tuberous Drosera are basically the opposite of your northern Sarracenia. Our summers are VERY hot, sometimes 40C+ and DRY DRY DRY. Winter on the other hand is often sunny but cooler with plenty of rain. Martin's 10-15C is about right. The Drosera go dormant during the hot summer and do all their growing in the winter.

The soil is very sandy, some peat, and very very well drained. None of them will like sitting in water. Cacti grow really well in sand from around Perth if that helps. There is a big dune formation that runs under the entire region and the sand tends to be white and silica based. My house was close to a lake called Gnangarra which almost looked like the ocean as the sand is all so white (and the water's quite salty). I used to see heaps of drosera right up to the shoreline in Winter.

In the same area as the tuberous Drosera you can usually find many others all mixed, rosettes and pygmies as well as Cephalotus, down south.

Allan Lowrie sells all kinds of Drosera tubers and he sends overseas. I don't have his address handy (he is not on the net&#33
wink.gif
but if you want, post again and I'll have a look for it.

Hope this helps, fatboy.

PS Martin I don't know what you do for a living but you should seriously consider professional photography
smile.gif

Hey Ceph88,

How much did D.'Amato sell the whittakerii for(message me)? I might visit CC at the end of Aug.

Fatboy,

Thanks for the info
smile.gif
It's sad to hear that development will stamp out the cps in that area...:-<
The problem with importing tuberous drosera from Au is that seasons are reversed(winter/spring in Au=Summer in the U.S.). It is extremely difficult to sustain the plants during the hot summers until they adjust their biological clock.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the Drosera being stamped out, WA is a BIG place and there is quite a bit of national park land.

It would be like trying to stamp out snow in Alaska.

Cheers, Troy.

I know that Phil Wilson in the UK has been successful in getting Australian tuberous Drosera to change their schedule to match our Winter/Summer seasons. MAybe he could be persuaded to reveal how he did so.

On Allen Lowrie, his address is:
Allen Lowrie
6 Glenn Place,
Duncraig, 6023
Western Australia

I have been trying to convince him to put his catalogue online but no luck yet, he doen't even want email. But maybe we could find someone to be his US Distributor and solve that problem.

Cheers

Just a thought

I found what is probably Bali's only Drosera on top of a volcano. It is a tuberous Drosera and both Allan Lowrie and Phill Mann are of the opinion that it is probably peltata (but not sure - they both want me to send them pressed specimens).

We don't have winters here but they are seasonal, they die off in the dry season - May to December, and grow in the wet which is the other months. As they are only found up on the top of the volcano, more because of the fact that it is moist rather than the temp, they must like it cooler than the rest of Bali. Probably around 24/ 25C but the same temp all year round.

I can try and collect some seed but you would have to wait until the end of the next wet, about April.

Cheers, Troy.

Back