What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long til shipping stress fades

Hi folks,
I ordered the following sundews through the mail (about early/mid july):
D. capensis
D. intermedia
D. rotundifolia
D. spathulata

They arrived bareroot with the roots wrapped in wet kleenex I potted them in 1/2 sphag. peat 1/2 pearlite & some LFS and they're all on the tray method. but none of them are making dew and just barely seem to be hanging on. How long might it be before I start to see them putting up new leaves and of course, making dew too!
smile.gif

Thanks for any thoughts!

When I saw the topic title I thought this was about the anxiety one goes through whilst waiting for mail ordered plants to arrive in the post
confused.gif

I suffer terribly from this affliction, sleepless nights, racing heartbeat in anticipation every time a post van drives up my street, followed by disapointment and depression when it drives staight past my house
mad.gif

I've just received some rare Pings from a nursery in Europe, three weeks later than their estimated dispatch date and only two days before I go on holiday (phew). I nearly went to the Docs for some Prozac!

But you want to know about the stress the plants suffer. If the leaves have all stopped producing dew and have done so for a couple of weeks, you may have to wait for new leaves to form before they get dewy.
Are you keeping the the plants in full sun, I would keep them in 1/2 shade until they start showing active growth. Also, don't let them get too hot, especially the rotundifolia and intermedia, if they are temperate forms they will probably be happier outside. I've no idea how hot Minnesota is in summer though, so if it's cooler where you have them now don't.

Cheers
Vic

heh! I too have that anxiety problem over plants arriving in the mail! Luckily most nurserys I've worked with are very toimely (I haven't gotten any overseas shipments yet though but I've heard things). Overseas customs may be partly to blame for the shipment dealys. I've been doing mailorder Teeshirts, LPs & CDs for many years as well as a heavy metal magazine and I know foreign customs can be real difficult (for both incoming and outgoing shipments).

Ah, I have my CPs in terrariums they are warm nepenthes enclosures. perhaps that's why! I can put the two cooler ones into my highland nepenthes tank which has lots of air flow (and a 30 degree temp swing at night) but also has a near constant fog to keep the humidity high I heard that this fog might not be good for the droseras. But maybe it will be best to give it a try and see if things improve. I have had these for about 3 weeks now and there are beginings of new leafs but they haven't unfurled yet.

BTW would a misting with my nepenthes foliar feed (a very light menu of 1/8th strength orchid fertilizer and trace minerals) do these guys good or bad?

Thanks again!

hahaha!
biggrin.gif

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who goes crazy waiting for packages....
I remember a couple of weeks ago when i got my first plants, I would check the mail SO often and look all around just in case the mailman didn't put the box right in front of my door
its worse now that I'm on summer vacation and i just stay at home most of the time!
But i had that 'dewless' problem too...
My d. intermedia florida all dried up so i just cut off all the leaves and left the few that were showing up, and now it has nice dewy leaves...
My spathulata on the other hand has many many leaves with no dew, but i plan to just wait until new leaves grow out. But would you suggest cutting off the older leaves to let the new leaves grow out faster?

I got some Aristolochia vines today, it was a whole 3 days from the west coast to MN where as from the east coast it's only 2 days, I was pacing on friday!  
biggrin.gif

I had a few D spathulata before (I killed em with tap water) and they are relatively fast growers (not as fast as D. adelae though). I'd just leave the leaves on unless they turn brown or moldy or something cos they will give the plant a chance to use the old fashioned photosynthesis energy til the new leaves come up

Good luck!

I ordered a Drosera Adelae from this site. I would of had it on Monday or Tuesday but I would be camping, so they are shipping it on the 6th,Tuesday, and it will arive around Friday I think. Anyway my question. Well I have a 10 gallon tank that is empty that has a plant grow light on my current regular Venus Fly Trap. The traps are getting red fast! They like it. Should I put the Adelae in the light or keep it in the shade where it gets a tiny bit of light but not much? Also, I have piece of plexiglass over the top but it gets plenty of air movement. But the humidity is great. I know they like humidity. So my only question was do I keep it in the full light or in the shade?

I would say that you can keep it with your VFT under growlights.

I have a couple D. adelae the ones growing under nepenthes leaves (shady areas) get larger but stay green I had one that was 7" across and almost 7" high. The ones growing out in the open under intense light get more colorful leaf pigments but stay smaller. I've had some which stayed only 2" wide in a very hot and intensely lit lowland Nepenthes terrarium.

Back