What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Hybrid!

It looks like I have a fertile cross of Drosera oblanceolata x Drosera capillaris Southern long arm form. The plant looks very close to Drosera oblanceolata, a little less hairy, but it grows quickly like capillaris, and has a deeper shade of red.

Some of this seed may have been sent out by me as "capillaris long arm form" so, if you recently received this seed from me, you might have a surprise in store for you. I'll try to get some photo's up in the near future of the parents and their "kid".

Now the question is what do I call it: oblanocapillaris or capillanceolata? Maybe "The Mitt"?

are all the seeds you sent out as capillaris long arm form of this hybrid, or just some.
confused.gif
oh and by the way congrats
biggrin.gif

cheers,

Joel

It is possible that some of the capillaris seed *may* be affected by uncontrolled fertilization, although the odds are low.

Hey!!! Congratulations!!!! keep up the good work.

this is not the same capillaris I sent you, is it?

-noah

ps. can I have some?
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif

pps. your d. x watari's are over an inch across. I'll get them to you soon.

Noah,
The capillaris you sent was the pollen receiver. The hybrid growst at the same good rate as this species. Oblanceolata is a finicky grower, so this is good!

Btw, do you have Ivan's oblanceolata hybrid?

Noah,

I am going to take some leaf cuttings, and of course I will share if they take:)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The capillaris you sent was the pollen receiver. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

That makes me a grandfather!!!
biggrin.gif

Yes, I have a few. I'll send you one, they are not thriving in their current conditions for some reason. Maybe they just need a transplant?? They are growing outdoors under shade cloth with moist soil, same as my capillarises. Actually the capillarises in that area also just took a nosedive for no reason at all (well, none conceivable
confused.gif
) Although I think maybe they were overwhelmed by the moss which seems to grow everywhere. Anyway, I have several of the hybrid and will send one to you with the x wataris. Would you like fries with that?
wink.gif

noah

Wooo hooo! Thanks Noah! Ivan no longer has this in his collection. It seems it behaves much like oblanceolata, and needs good watering but not sodden roots. I am also looking for Drosera x "Fabrica" another of his experiments which he has no longer, in case you hear of anyone who has this going. I am a big fan of Ivan's creations Noo fries, thanks - I am on a diet, trying to reach 146 lbs. 8 more lbs and I will be there :)

Wow thats great, I hope they breed true! Don't forget to show the pictures. I'm thinking of breeding VFT (even though it's a nightmare) since they get neglected sometimes. How do you deside what mix your going to try? I know with sundew your dealing with hybreds not er mutts or whatever you call crossing types of VFT's, but same sort of conditions right?

Darcie,
With Drosera species the gene count varies from species to species, and in order to get fertile seed the nucleotides must match. Yo can't cross a palnt with N = 40 with another that has N=13. Fortunately with VFT's, all the forms interbreed and have the same gene sequence, although I doubt that they will breed true. Many can only be reproduced asexually by cloning the plants. It is worth a try though, you might end up with something new and exciting, or just a typical VFT.

Congrats Tamlin. Keep us posted on your work. i would love a plant or two of Drosera X Tamlin's Delight! Oh yea, if its not in your way, can you try making a Drosera regia X slackii lol!-Zach

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tamlin Dawnstar @ Oct. 07 2002,10:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Darcie,
With Drosera species the gene count varies from species to species, and in order to get fertile seed the nucleotides must match.  Yo can't cross a palnt with N = 40 with another that has N=13.  Fortunately with VFT's, all the forms interbreed and have the same gene sequence, although I doubt that they will breed true.  Many can only be reproduced asexually by cloning the plants.  It is worth a try though, you might end up with something new and exciting, or just a typical VFT.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
yes
smile.gif
I am fermilliar with genetics. Do you think your fertile hybred will breed true? As in not pop up with recessive funnies? I'm looking forward to messing with VFT's I know I'll get a bunch of normal ones, but if no one ever bred them the old fation way we wouldn't get new types
wink.gif

Hey Zach,

No problem, I'd be happy to try the cross. Just send me a couple of mature Drosera regia and I'll get right on it. :)
BTW, have your slackii flowered yet?

Tamlin,

LOL, like i have adult regia...mine are only large seedlings
smile.gif
, but slackii are about 3 inches tall and have yet to flower. Thanks-Zach

Back