What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sowing gemmae in terrariums

I received some packs of gemmae today (most of which had sprouted in transit and had tiny white tap roots I planted them with a needle fine dissection tweezers). I know this is their winter season and could probably do well following Tams article by put them on a bright windowsill, if I had one... in winter my house is almost totally dark.
So I was thinking of growing them in my highland Nepenthes tank (on 12 hour light cycle already) since they like cooler temps. Any idea if this will work?

Thanks for any thoughts!
smile.gif

I think they will be alright short term in the terrarium, provided you can get them as close to the tubes as possible. I grow all my species indoors October - April. The high humidity is good for the sprouting gemmae. I find the plants resent high humidity longterm though.

I can move the plants to a bright window in the spring/summer but fall and winter my kitchen window is pretty dark only a rabbits foot fern and panda philo can grow/survive there overwinter.

Back