What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illustration of flower parts

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
anatomyofaflowerRS.jpg

Hi folks

Since there is often talk about pollinating plants and terms are used that some may not be familiar with, I created this diagram to illustrate the basic flower parts so when someone is talking about pollen, stamens, anthers and other such parts, you may have a better understanding of what these words mean. Please bear in mind this is a stylized "generic" drawing and the flower parts will look different in each species.  But hopefully from the diagram you will be able to figure out the different parts on any particular flower.

If anyone feels like they can add some helpful information such as tips and tricks for hand pollinating, cross pollinating, gathering and storing pollen, personal experiences in pollination, etc., please feel free to share.

I thought this might help since many people have an interest to trying to pollinate their CPs and create for new hybrids.

Suzanne

PlantAKiss,
That is very informative. I will have to use it to when planning on pollinating my sundew flowers! Very nice! Thanks,
Kevin

So what's a pistol (don't tell me a hand gun
wink.gif
) and a stamen? I remember very vividly these terms from bio class...'course that was ** years ago....but I thought the

I got all my terms mixed up...some gardner I am
sad.gif

Live and learn!
smile.gif

lol Schloaty.
smile.gif
The anther and filament form the stamen. The stigma, style and ovary form the pistil.

I loved biology.
smile.gif
But don't ask me where the H Switzerland is because all I could tell you would be "its in Europe". lol I'm terrible with geography and history.

I think my pic needs to be sized down a bit. I think its too large.

Very nice work there Suzanne! Now, how about a diagram showing the different parts of the rosette? Lamina, petiole and stipules. Purdy please?

Awww...thanks.  Hmmm...not a bad idea.  Maybe that's how I can occupy my time. Any suggestions for a subject plant? Somewhere I have one I did for a Venus flytrap when I was giving one as a gift to a friend's child.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PlantAKiss @ Aug. 27 2003,4:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The stigma, style and ovary form the pistil.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Thus the phrase "Son of a gun".

Sorry, but I had to beat schloaty to the bad pun
rolleyes.gif

Very good diagram.  Like many others, my highschool biology is a fuzzy memory.  Not that it was all that clear at that time either.  This will be a handy ref. for me. Thank you
smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (schloaty @ Aug. 27 2003,10:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So what's a pistol (don't tell me a hand gun
wink.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
But it is.......I have some...I can prove it

can anyone tell me how to pollinate my sundews?
confused.gif

Please do not reduce the size/resolution of images overly much. Some of us do not have excellent vision and are perfectly willing to wait while our very slow dial-up connections download images we might then be able to see.

Trying to enlarge an image that is lacking in detail does not always help very much. A small fuzzy blob is just a larger fuzzy blob.

I never resized it...I left it as is. I didn't want the pic to be too wide. I use both 17" and 21" monitors but I know a lot of people don't have that luxury and its a pain to have to scroll a pic around. But the larger size does make the text more readable.

I'll leave it as is.

Yeah, its really nice actually!
smile.gif

PlanAKiss the artist! lol
smile_n_32.gif

If I didn't know better I would say that is from a university bio textbook!
smile_m_32.gif
Excellent illustration detail.

Perfect illustration and a perfect size to print out for PERSONAL USE ONLY.  I went to File, then Page Setup, and changed Orientation from Portrait to Landscape, and clicked OK. Then I went to File again and selected Print Preview. This showed that the illustration fits perfectly on page 2.  Hit Print and tell the printer to print ONLY page 2.  The illustration prints in the upper 2/3 of the page with the wording from "Hi folks" through "create for new hybrids." in the lower 2/3.  
YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary), but this should work for most everyone who wants to print out just that portion of this thread.  Most of you already know how to do this, I'm sure, but there may be a few readers who didn't.
Sorry, I should have asked first for permission to print it, so I'm asking now. May I print out copies for PERSONAL USE ONLY? Thanks!

I was looking at pictures of sundew flowers, and I can't tell where is the stigma.
http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/sundews/Burmanni_flower Take this pic for example. what are those weird white things, not the petals Those weird 5 star shaped thingies that also form a star or is the yellow thing the stigma or is it the stigma? DO flowers have only one stigma or can they have more than one?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PiranhaPlant @ Jan. 26 2006,8:30)]I was looking at pictures of sundew flowers, and I can't tell where is the stigma.
http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/sundews/Burmanni_flower Take this pic for example. what are those weird white things, not the petals Those weird 5 star shaped thingies that also form a star or is the yellow thing the stigma or is it the stigma? DO flowers have only one stigma or can they have more than one?
I believe those 5 white things are the stigmas. The 5 yellow things near the center are the stamens. I think, but I am not sure, that flowers can have more than one stigma.
dewy

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dewy @ Jan. 26 2006,12:02)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (PiranhaPlant @ Jan. 26 2006,8:30)]I was looking at pictures of sundew flowers, and I can't tell where is the stigma.
I believe those 5 white things are the stigmas. The 5 yellow things near the center are the stamens. I think, but I am not sure, that flowers can have more than one stigma.
dewy
Yes, the five white spidery things are the stigma (though it is branched there is still only the one), they are connected to a style that branches and whose branches merge on top of the ovary.

Back