What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. burmanni seeds

Could someone enlighten me on this please?

The Savage Garden says to sow the seeds lightly on a growing medium and keep humid and bright. Another source recommends a temperature of 25C and bright light. Neither mentions that the medium should be damp/moist/wet/soaking...which should it be, and under what conditions have you experienced growers found to be most conducive to germination?

Also, will the burmanni tolerate LFS, or is peat/sand the best bet?

Lastly, if one cuts away all flower scapes and keeps conditions ideal, will the burmanni still die away as it does in nature?

Thanks so much for any help.

Hi,

I mostly use a mix of sand and peat to germinate my Drosera. pure peat should work as well. I keep the pots exactly like adults plants. Drosera burmanii is no exception to this. I give them as much light as possible. The humidity is mostly somewhere around 60°. Drosera burmanii is very easy to germinate. As soil, i recommend a mix of peat and sand. I think it's the best one for this species. Drosera burmanii loves to have a lot of light.

In my experience, cutting flowers most often doesn't lengthen it's life. Sometimes it works, but most often the plants will die away. My plants are producing flowers for the second time this year (has anyone else experienced this?). They have already flowered in June. So the dieing might be caused by shorter days and less light. Maybe you can keep it alive for more than one year, if you use artifical light.

Please consider, that Drosera burmanii can only be propagated by seeds. If you don't let them flower, you won't have any seeds.

christian

Thanks for the information...what temperature do you use to germinate your seeds?

Back