What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Improving growth of pygmi plantlet

I'm worried about my pygmi sundew. It hasn't responded to well to being relocated. Are their any tricks to getting them to bulk up quickly?

The best looking pygmies that I grow are grown with low humidity(30-40% daytime, 70% nighttime). Lighting is by natural filtered sun.

Okay, but this is a baby plant, don't they have some crasey water flood or something they go through at this age? My poor baby, I don't know if it is made because the humidity is less or if it is the light or what. I don't want to kill it! But I don't even know what is wrong
sad.gif

Ah! It made a little white poof of hair, thats a dorment thing right? This is normal? It will still grow, right?

The white things are a stipular cone being produced to protect the meristem during summer drought. It is a normal thing. Your plant should continue to grow if given good conditions of light, cool roots, and pure water. Low humidity is not an issue with these plants. If the plant is under lights on a long day photo period, this may or may not be having an effect (I am just growing it for the first time too). A natural ohotoperiod is best for these plants.

Okay, thanks. It just had me nervious with it being so tiney and all.

I was just thinking how cool it is to be growing a plant that is newish to cultivation. I want to contribute to the pool of info about it best I can, but I'm still having difficulty finding the pool, lol. So far all I've found are some photos (thanks to everyones help) and then also a yearly growth chart for wild ones. It looks like they will wake up around mid april. Anyhow, I was curious if anyone knows what their natrual habbitat is, or rather, their FAVORET habbitat. I've seen them grow in all three "types". According to my research pygmy usually prefer 1 of three habbitats, actual peat bog, sandy areas or rocky areas. My plantlet seemed to go nuts for the pure peat I started it in, and promply went dorment when changed into the dryer slack potting meathoid (and it's not that much dryer yet eather because I'm taking it slow). I was just curious. I wish more had survived shipping so I could set up an experiment with the differnt soils. Oh well, I await those who grow this plant's pearls of wisdom. Thanks
smile.gif

Drosera platystigma is reported to be a summer dormant species, and we have discussed summer care of the dormant types. I believe the plant inhabits lateritic soils. I had planned on using pure laterite as a substrate, but was unable to afford the purchase. The material may be had at tropical fish stores as it has some use in aquaria. There isn't much I can add at this point as this is a new adventure for me as well.

hmmm, so it is the rocky type then. Gee, I'll have to poke around the local fish shops... Oh and I just relised that our summer is the reverse of their native summer so the chart should be flip flopped, lol.

This plantlett is stressing me out. I can't tell if it is happy and sleeping or unhappy and dead. Why oh why does it have to be so tiney! (Duh, stupid question I guess, lol) So everyone elses are tiney, white tuffted and dead looking right now too right? *paint paint!* ...Must not die on me(or in pot)...

If it was greenish and now white-grey, I fear it has gone the way of all flesh. I had nine, but now I have eight thanks to fungus gnat larva.

oh drat.  It probubly died then, although I have no clue why.  It hasn't decomposed like my other two seedling to die this year so maybe it is okay.  It's hard to tell because it was from the last batch of the seson and is just a little thing.  I know a certain % loss is to be expected, but why'd it half to happen to the only one I've got?  Well, time to pull out the magnifying glass again and see if their is any sign of life left.

...Yah, it's dead, I couldn't find it today.
tounge.gif
I feel so bad, it was the only one to survive shipping and I killed it

Back