What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it possible?

Hi,
I was wondering if it's possible to have a Drosera capensis 'Typical' sprout an 'Alba' from it's roots, because that is apparently happening with mine. I have a HUGE typical with a baby (three or four dewy leaves) coming out of the roots. Sounds normal? WRONG!! It has a baby 'Alba'. So my question is basically do they all start out white, or am I getting an 'Alba'?
smile.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

They all are pale green when they start out. Do you mean it is 100% white? Because Alba are not 100% white eather.

no, just the hairs/dew glands, just like an 'Alba'

Give it some time to color up. My. D. capensis typical came back fomr the roots and it was all white also but in time it is looking regular again. In the greenhouse the sun (when we had it) really brought it back to normal color.

But to answer the question, I would say it is possible. These are called "sports" and some happen with predictable frequency. An example is a nectarine, which is just a peach without hair. Occasionally in peach orchards one finds a branch producing nectarines. I assume the "alba" was just such a sport.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tim @ April 03 2003,9:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But to answer the question, I would say it is possible. These are called "sports" and some happen with predictable frequency. An example is a nectarine, which is just a peach without hair. Occasionally in peach orchards one finds a branch producing nectarines. I assume the "alba" was just such a sport.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Maybe, but even my Capensis Red babies look like Albinos(official name) and they are almost a month old.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Maybe, but even my Capensis Red babies look like Albinos(official name) and they are almost a month old.
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Darcie,
I have itty bitty D. capensis reds sprouting too, and some are indeed pale. On the other hand, many are already DEEP red (almost maroon)! Try some stronger light. I have my babies about 5 or 7 inches from two flourescent tubes.....

I'm out of room under the grow lights right now(an ill flytrap, a red dragon I'm trying to get to actually be red and some spatulata seedling I want to grow faster dang it&#33
wink.gif
I sapose I can try swapping them under the lights for a bit, my spatulata changed color in 24 hours (although I still think my sprouts are too young to have much pygment). On the bright side, a few of my typical sprouts have started to get red tenticles.

I hope it's a 'sport', I want alba! Oh, it's in plenty bright light!
smile.gif

My understanding is that 'alba' (really albino) refers to the color of the flower. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Mine is white, except in full sun when there is a very faint reddish.

bigleague.JPG

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dyflam @ April 04 2003,09:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My understanding is that 'alba' (really albino) refers to the color of the flower. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
The discription of the 'Albino' varient says that it has pink glands and white flowers.

Tim
that's a grr8 pic of your capensis .
truely beautiful.

can't w8 to get some seeds or leaf sprouts LOL

especiealy if they look that kool .

Back