What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosophyllum flower pic

Hi this is more of a test than anything as I just got my first digital camera a couple of hours ago.

Droso1.jpg

It works
smile.gif

Vic

Tim

This is the whole plant, 15inches from soil to highest flower.
As you can see it's grown in a double pot, something I'd always wanted to try since I got my first CP book 'Carnivorous Plants' by A. Slack about 19 years ago. I planted the seeds in September 2001 and this is the first flowering (and I hope not the last, I've heard they have a habit of dying in cultivation after flowering).

Dros3.jpg

Here is a close-up of the inflorescence

Dros2.jpg

Here this is the sticky bit!

Dros4.jpg

Cheers

Vic

I also read that Drosophyllum plants die after flowering. I have seven plants at home in my unheated greenhouse that are starting their 4th year. They are now flowering and producing seed for the second year and still look healthy. I also have a plant of the same age and size in the Humboldt State University cactus room that has never flowered. I am guessing that the difference is because the temperature in the cactus room never gets below 60F, whereas at my place it gets to the mid-30s in winter.

Everything I have read indicates the plants will die if kept too wet after flowering. One source even recommended witholding water for a month or more during this period (though I would think this might kill the plant.) You might want to check the cultivation info at the BestCP website, they have quite an extensive article there

Back