What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. binata

I have a d. binata that is happier than anything in my house right now, and it is sending up a flower (probably about 12"). Should I just let it go and get some seed or does it sap the plant. it seems to have no ill effect on the plant as it is throwing up new growth constantly....

Hi,

You can leave the flower, if you want to.

Not all binatas will produce seeds. There seem to be steril clones, that will never produce (viable) seeds, even if cross-pollinated with other plants. I think, these plants are triploid (3n). I only have one plant, that produces (viable) seeds. All my other binatas have never produced seeds.

Christian

If binata are left to flower they seem to shrink a bit, this doesn’t seem to matter as they are as big and beautiful as ever when they stop flowering. Some of my plants I trim the flowers off when I want them to look their best, but usually let them do their thing
smile.gif

Some plants self easily and produce seed by the bucket load where other clones must be cross pollinated with a different clone. I have not seen a sterile form yet but have not tried to pollinate all my clones yet, so can't add to much. Someone told me that binata genetics are a bit of a mess, which could mean some populations could not be crossed with each other...
confused.gif

Just out of interest mcrwt644, what is your binata like, which form if you know?

George

what type, I am relatively new to cps, but I didn't know what type it is, d. binata is the extent of my knowledge. BIG and constantly growing, that's what type...

MCRWT

Are the leaves forked like a Y or T....or do they have multiple forks off one stem?

Back