What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. Adelae

I have two D. adelae, they are in individual 4.5 inch pots, and kept in seperate table top greenhouse type structures. The insides range at 75-78 degrees and usually at 60-75% humidity. One plant looks great, growing like a weed and lots of dew; the other is more like a wet noodle, it is growing but not much dew. I tend to think that the problem stems from being too hot inside, but to cool it down then reduces the humitidy. Also the light could be an issue. I would like to put them both in the same tank as the one seems to meet ideal conditions.

My question is, the space is not huge. To put the two pots in will cause the fronds to touch each other and the sides of the tank. I have tried to avoid that, but wonder if it is really an issue. Would it be a problem for them to touch?

Second question, it looks like the one plant is sending out babies, which I have read is common. Only, the babies are round and small, not long and pointy like the parent. Is it possible it is a different type of sundew and did I get a bonus with my delivery? There are two small plants, close to the adult, they both have 4-6 leaves, but all around round? Any ideas?

Well, thanks for letting me ramble. Have a Happy New Year all!

Linda ö¿ö

I have two D. adelae, they are in individual 4.5 inch pots, and kept in seperate table top greenhouse type structures. The insides range at 75-78 degrees and usually at 60-75% humidity. One plant looks great, growing like a weed and lots of dew; the other is more like a wet noodle, it is growing but not much dew. I tend to think that the problem stems from being too hot inside, but to cool it down then reduces the humitidy. Also the light could be an issue. I would like to put them both in the same tank as the one seems to meet ideal conditions.

My question is, the space is not huge. To put the two pots in will cause the fronds to touch each other and the sides of the tank. I have tried to avoid that, but wonder if it is really an issue. Would it be a problem for them to touch?

Second question, it looks like the one plant is sending out babies, which I have read is common. Only, the babies are round and small, not long and pointy like the parent. Is it possible it is a different type of sundew and did I get a bonus with my delivery? There are two small plants, close to the adult, they both have 4-6 leaves, but all around round? Any ideas?

Well, thanks for letting me ramble. Have a Happy New Year all!

>hi. Are they both growing in the same kind of substrate? this particular sundew does not need alot of light. I grow 4 D.adelae in a 4 inch pot with a mix of long fibered sphagnum and perlite. The pot is placed in a small tank with a plastic wrap top. I believe the problem with the weaker sundew is not humdity, but too much light/or heat. If lowering the heat requires lowering humdity, dont worry bout it. My adelaes have like a 50% humdity level. Also, for the lil babies...baby adelae look like exactly like you described. It comes from the roots. After a few months, they will look like the parent plant (s). Good luck and happy new years
!

Hi again Linda :)

I have one surviving adelae (I've killed a few) and mine has one baby and they do have round leaves. Mine is in soil in a small terrarium all to itself. It is doing ok...not as good as it could be..not growing much and slightly dewey. I've heard they can grow like weeds but mine isn't. Yet another challenge to find what will make it happier. I get confused because I read that they don't like a lot of light, yet will turn a nice maroonish color with lots of light.
confused.gif
Sooo...how do you get that beautiful maroon color I've seen in some adelae pics (like Martin's for instance) without a lot of light? I've got a lot more to learn on keeping an adelae happy. Some people say they are easy...some say they are difficult. But hopefully in the near future I can get some more and try them in my tank and see if its happier under artificial lighting.

As for touching, I've seen pics of pots crammed with adelae and also I figure they'd do that in nature as they reproduce. So I would think that wouldn't matter too much.

Suzanne

I have tried adelae on east and south(!) facing windows and under artificial lights.
In my opinion a south facing window is the best. They enjoy !!!! bright light, but should be protected from too much direct sun during summer months.

Humidity need not be as high as with schizandra or prolifera but it is less tolerant to low humidity than the subtropical Drosera like capensis, spatulata & Co.
50% should be ok, maybe higher if tempartures raise.
But 80% is also allright, but be careful with fungi !

The temepartures should be always around 20°C, avoid temperatures less than 10°C and higher than 30°C.

Mine grow in a mixture of peat and sand (maybe this is also a reason for the red color ?)
there are also some forms of this plant (white and red flowering, so maybe there are also forms of different leaf coloration, but try more light !)

Mine like sitting in water year around.

My baby plants have also roundish leaves

my plants never flowered. I don't know why, I must make something wrong here. (my prolifera flowers all the year and schizandra does almost never flower in cultivation)
Hmmmm ?

And finaly, my big plants are now in an unheated terrarium (at around 15°C) and they are touching the glass. It doesn't matter. (It doesn't look very nice...)

Martin

D.Adelae is one of the easiest sundews o grow in my expierence. Mine I bought at a lowe's store and now is growing and spreading nicely through my terarrium. My humidity for it is 90% during the day and 70-60% at night. I have no problems with fungus either. I think I have a good air circulation. It usualy will reproduce by it's root runners. But can also reproduce by it's leaves that hit the ground too. Tiny plantlets will appear from the leaves edges usualy. These will be exremly small apart from root runner plants. The root runner plants mature very fast in my expierence. I have my Adelae planted in Pure Long Fiber Sphagnum moss,Then put Peat and Perlite below it to increase acidity and water retention. Nep.G.

yea..i got my adelaes from the cp bog. I got a lil one and in like 2 weeks, another one popped out of the soil. Now i got about 4-5 of em. I have the adleaes in a tank with Heliamphora on a west facing window. It doesnt get direct light because it is blocked by the shades..so it gets filtered light. Oddly, the heliamphora is doing great! My adelaes are flowering rite now.

Yes, O Shieh is a very nice guy. I helped him out by sending him some Live Sphagnum Moss because he was out. In return by January or February I am getting a N.Madagascariensis from him. Nice guy and knows how to run a business. Nep.G.

@cephalotus88 : You have a Heliamphora WITHOUT direct sun and it is "doing great"
confused.gif
???

Picture ?

I don't know much about Heliamphora but I read somewhere that they have been known to like and prosper in filtered sunlight. My adelae is in filtered direct sun sometimes. It depends if the sun shines
smile.gif
It is doing great along with N.Ventricosa P.Ioantha and i think I have identified the Nepenthes. I think it is N. Vietchii x Truncata. Nep.G.

Thanks for the great answers everyone,

I think light is the missing factor. I've tried putting the poor looking one in a west window, just on a tray of water, no tank. The temp ranges 65-70 F. It at least does not look like the wet noodle anymore, but still no dew. Unfortunately in a town named Dreary Erie, good sunlight from any window in the winter is pretty scarce. We've finally gotten winter, temps in the high teens to mid 20's, and pretty constant snow for 3 days, kind of hides the sun.

Well, my goal is to keep it alive. Funny that I can't seem to duplicate the conditions that are in the tank that the other plant sits in. I must have found the only spot in my house that is perfect. I may try to squeeze them both in to it, if the other one doesn't perk up soon.

I'm glad and sad to hear that it is adelae babies. At least if the poor one doesn't make it, I will still have 3 plants. I was kinda hoping for a different kind though too, I love surprises when it comes to plants.

Well thanks again, Happy New Year all,

Linda ö¿ö

yup, no direct light, doing great (heliamphora)

Back