What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flower Scape

Hey, guys, i'm doin a good job! That baby drosera i resurected from purgatory, that one i got from the nursery, that was growintg along side a S. purpurea, yea, that one... IT IS GROWING A FLOWER SCAPE!!! Hoorah! Check my vft post for a few details about its two day growing spree...

K, i came home from school, and i found a three quarter inch stalk unfurling! When i woke up, this morning, it was just a spiral in the center of my plant, now i can tell its a flower scape, and not a leaf!!!

What do i do?

Please give me instructions on pollinating, collecting, stratifying, and germinating my seeds...

oh yea, its rotundifolia...

THANKS!

Keep on doing what you are doing, no more or less. Leave it be, and watch the process unfold. You won't need to worry about harvesting seed just yet, that will come after the last flower on the scape has opened. Don't be surprised if the rotundifolia flowers do not open for you, without exact conditions of humidity and light this may not happen at all, and if it does, it will probably be in the morning. Seed will still be produced though. The plant will also be in a more weakened state after flowering, and higher humidity then is a good idea. In habitat, rotundifolia goes dormant shortly after flowering and setting seed. Are you sure you have rotundifolia? This is a temperate species that will not survive without a winter dormancy.

I'm PRETTY sure its a rotundifolia...

It is actually growing upwards, but i think that is because it was light starved where i bought it... Now at the top of the plant it is growing like a rosette, no more upward growth, other than the flower stalk. The leaves have thin thin thin petioles, that suddenly turn into round (oval, sideways... It is longer sideways, as opposed to up and down (thats how i tell it apart from capillaris) leaf blades... Everything aobut is rotundifolia, except the fact that theres a rossette perched up upon a stalk, with a few leaves underneath...

Back