What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowrie order

Hi Everyone,

A couple of people have contacted me with some stuff they want to order, but I need to know if you want anything ordered with my order by Thursday Morning at the latest, so I can fax the man and let him know. Obviously I am talking to the people who requested catalogs.

Thanks,

Joe

Hi Joe,
I haven't seen the catalog yet, but please put me in for 2 units of U. menziesii tubers and let me know what to send by way of payment to you.

Hi Tamlin

Just to save you a bit of time, Allen has tubers of the following D. menziesii forms listed in his current catologue:

D. menziesii subsp. menziesii 'red plants' $7-00 AUS
D. menziesii subsp. basifolia $8-00 AUS
D. menziesii subsp. penicillaris $8-00 Aus

There are about 2 $AUS to one $US, very roughly, better check that.

Cheers
Vic

Hey Vic,

Tamlin actually wants Utricularia menziesii
smile.gif
But it is easy to understand the confusion.

Tamlin,

I believe Joe said that these are $10 AUS a piece so you are looking at about $10 US.

Tamlin,

Yours was mailed, but it was Saturday. I would think it would be in today's mail.
There are two Utric menziesii tuber types.
red flower, yellow palate and red spur

red flower, orange OR red palate, and yellow OR red spur

$10 ea AU, so for two and me shipping them to you should be $14.50 in US, or so.

Regards,

Joe

BTW, Vic was right about DROSERA menziesii forms, lol.

Sorry, my speed readings not all it used to be! I thought he already had the Drosera though. Enjoy your order, I just received my first (but not last) A. Lowrie order on Saturday, better than Christmas
smile.gif

Cheers

Vic

Hello, would like Drosophyllum, let me know it's availability, I can paypal you. Thank you.

Shot you a PM.

Hi alltogether,

please do keep your ethics high and don't buy poached toubers!!! As far as I know nearly all tubers Allen sells, are collected from the wild - illegal of course. Think of it: Who would be able to produce tubers of a reasonable size (which does take some years of growth) for that few dollars Allen is asking for them?

Please do only buy nursery grown tubers!

Australia is far away, but buying poached Drosera is as ugly as buying poached Sarracenia or Darlingtonia - which none of you would do!

Joachim
sad.gif

Hey Joe,

i haven't recieved the catalog eather yet. if i get it by Thur. i will be shore to let ya know

George,

To be honest, I don't remember getting a SASE or what-not from you, unless it's in the Sarra seed you sent, lol.
E-mail your address to

Killerplants@aol.com

and I will mail one ASAP. Sorry for that.

Regards,

Joe

BTW, if you saw Lowrie's catalog and noticed seed of N. edwardsiana ,Trusmadi, Sabah, even if that was viable seed, it would have to be N. macrophylla, as that grows on Trusmadi and N. edwardsiana is only found on Kinabalu.
I guess it goes back to the name N. edwardsiana ssp macrophylla for this kind of thing to happen, and most consider N. macrophylla to be of species rank.

Regards,

Joe

Is there anybody can say me which Drosera tubers Lowrie offers this year (species/prices)? I would love to know it... Thank you very much

Joe,

If the catalog makes it in tomorrow I will get you an order off to email tomorrow evening and a check out thursday.

cheers

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">
please do keep your ethics high and don't buy poached toubers!!! Keep in mind, that nearly all toubers Allen sells, are collected from the wild - illegal of course. Think of it: Who would be able to produce toubers of a reasonable size (which does take some years of growth) for that few dollars Allen is asking for them?<span id='postcolor'>

Thanks for pointing that out, Joachim. I was wondering about that.

Joachim

Are you a 100% sure on that they are illegally collected? it's a fairly strong statement if you are not. He has a Permit to export tubers from Australia from the Australian Dept. of Environment who are certainly stricter with the export of their flora and fauna than most countries, presumably they checked him out. Also, it's certainly much easier to produce tubers in W. Australia than anywhere else in the world (costs in climate control = 0), and the tubers he sells are, from the two I've received, reasonably sized, but, by no means, full sized when compared to the pictures in his books.

Vic

Joachim,

What is your stance if the seeds were wild collected as well?

Hi people
I think also that the tubers from the wild. The tubers of Drosera stolonifera and erythrorhiza are so big it will take more then 5 years to grow them for seeds. And the prices for tubers which are from cultivation are extreamly high (Kamil Pasek www.bestcarnivorousplants.com sells small Invitro tuberous Droseras each sort costs 15 EUR). Two members from the GFP (the German Carnivorous plant society) visit him in Western Australia Siggi Hartmeyer and Holger Hennern and they said he hasn`t any glashouse or anything other for growing. I called Holger last time and he told me that he think that the gemmae which he sells are also from the nature BUT he cut the old plants (some of them very high) and take them to home and removed the gemmae.
I think it is important that only people who cultivate Tuberous Droseras (for a few years) shall order by him. BUT it`s also wight that each who order by him know that the tubers from nature and they are valuable. A example Drosera zonaria (costs 10 AUD by A. L. ) Holger visited the location and he said this plant is exreamly rare on the location.

I know that the seducation is very big to order by him but you must know that some of the plants are very rare at the location and it would be extreamly imbecile if the plant died at someone. If in addition the people order tubers of rare tuberous most of all Drosera zonaria the location will die.

Greets from Germany
Julian

Back