What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera auriculata seedlings...

Hey, does anyone happen to have a pic or a link to a pic of a Drosera Auriculata Seedling? I'm trying to figure out if seeds are sprouting or if it's just something weird left over in the sphagnum.

Drosera auriculata starts its life as a wheeled rosette with long thin petioles and small round traps, and only forms its ascending stem later.

Thanks Tamlin. I'm gonna stick with it being bog grass for right now then.
smile.gif

Yeah tamlin, thanks for clearing that up, i wasnt sure what sprouted in my tank, but now i am sure it is auriculata.

Thanks a lot for the link to the photo Bob. That definately clears it up.

It's weird though, one of the 'bog grass things' is kind of hooked at the top. Looks different then the others. Maybe i'll just put it in it's own pot until I can really tell.

This is sort of a late post, but here is a shot of my seedlings.

Drosera_auriculata_Mt_Bold_Australia_r.jpg

Cool pic. Very interesting looking plant.

Tamlin,

I just noticed some seedlings that look kind of like yours, only no rosette.

With D. peltata which is very close to D. auriculata, the rosetted stage is occasionally not produced. Usually this happens when the seedlings germinate late in the season when the photoperiod length is increasing. This is a signal for the plant to produce its ascending stem and to flower. Perhaps this is the case with your plants as well. Be advised that even tiny seedlings can produce the needed tubers to survive dormancy. If they are producing vertical stems then they are nearing the end of their season. If you notice them dying off, try not to let the pot dry out too quickly so that the energy in the plants can be drawn into the forming tubers.

i can't wait for my D.auriculata two flower then i can get the seed................that pic looks just so cool
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
wow.gif
tounge.gif
wink.gif

Some of my d. auriculata missed the rosette stadium because they grew in pure live spaghnum moss. It makes them grow tall very fast!
Try it...

good growing!
Jan

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (JanW @ April 21 2003,7:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Some of my d. auriculata missed the rosette stadium because they grew in pure live spaghnum moss. It makes them grow tall very fast!
Try it...

good growing!
Jan[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Yeah, I planted mine in LFS that had been soaking for awhile, may have started growing again. They haven't really done much in awhile, i'm starting to think that it may be too hot for them where they are. Maybe i'll put them in a cooler tank later tonight under lights instead of part sun and see what happens with them.

Just to quickly chime in...

Mine looked like grass for the first month and than suddenly there were the cutest, dewy traps growing off the top!

Also planted in mostly moss.
smile.gif

Trailmax,

Weird, isn't it?  I got extremely confused with it because of some "bog grass" or whatever it is, sprouting up a week before it.

Oh yeah, btw...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  
tounge.gif

Sphagnum is not really appropriate for any tuberous Drosera. It is very difficult to supply the plant with the correct moisture content for dormancy in such a mix. 70 (or more)% sand/peat is recomended. D. auriculata and peltata can handle a slightly damp dormancy (especially mid north coast and alpine forms). It is very common for both of the above species to abort the rosette stage especially in mature plants. This is not always due to poor lighting but late rains can also force the plants to abort the rosette. Instead the plants produce scale like leaves more commonly seen in species like D. gigantea and D. heterophylla. Be very careful to remove ovaries as they ripen as this species can become a real pain and is difficult to weed out.

Good luck
Greg

Hi Greg, hi others!

This was a kind of misunderstanding. A few Dr. auriculata seeds have spread in my great terrarium, so they grow in a peat/sand mix. But some plants are growing in places with Sphagnum on the top of the substrate. These plants failed to grow a rosette! It seems that the concurrent plants (the Sphagnum moss) makes them grow in height much faster. I would not try this at other species, just easy ones likes Dr. auriculata, Dr. peltata and Dr. menziesii.

Good growing!
Jan

Greetings Jan,

Thanks for clearing this up.

I've been paying close attention to some of my plants since I read about this topic. There are some very interesting differences in plants from different populations that I had not noticed before. I will attempt to photograph these when the weather permits and write a little about my observations.

Greg

Back