What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera glanduligera photos

Hi everyone,

I went on a fieldtrip today and came across some lovely Drosera glanduligera plants in flower. I thought you may be interested in taking a look. These plants grew in amongst Drosera peltata and D. macrantha ssp. planchonii.

Two plants in flower-
Drosera%20glanduligera2.JPG

Closeup of flower-
Drosera%20glanduligera1.JPG

Photo of plant from different location taken a couple of weeks ago, just thought I'd chuck it in as well.
Drosera%20glanduligera.JPG

Regards,

Sean.

Couldn't help your self could you  
biggrin.gif

Strange, I saw some plants just like these earlier today...
wink.gif

George

G'Day George,

I thought I'd get in quick before you stole my thunder
smile.gif

How about you add your photo contributions to the thread?

Sean.

Wonderful pics, but where do you live? You're lucky to have such plants in your environment!

gorgeous plants, even better photo techniques
smile.gif

You are very fortunate to live in a place with so many different Drosera. Im take it your in Austarlia?

Hi guys,

Yes, I live in Australia. I'm from Melbourne which is located in the bottom south east part of Australia. Many CP's grow close by for example- Drosera glanduligera, peltata, auriculata, pygmaea, spatulata, binata, macrantha ssp. planchonii, whittakerii ssp. aberrans, Utricularia dichotoma, australis, tenella, lateriflora, beaugleholei & gibba.

Not quite as diverse as WA but still nice just the same.

Regards,

Sean.

Left my cammera at home... Very convinient though, as my pics didn't come out as nice as yours. Which look fantastic!
wow.gif

George

Yeah, well Mates, I had this plant in my backyard as well, too bad they didn't look like this!!! Still, I appreciated the amazingly looooong tentacles, and the very glandular scapes. My plants never got more than a cm in diameter, how large are the ones in this photo?

Seed was remarkably difficult to germinate for me. Do you have any good protocol for germination of this species?

I understand this is a dry growing species, found on tops of sandy dunes as opposed to being found at the bases. Do you think the plant gets a long root system in habitat (like the pygmy species), seeking the water deep down while preferring a dry medium to grow on?

This is also supposed to be the "quick draw" of the Drosera genus. Have you noted the rapid tentacle movement of the long tentacles: I believe I read a fraction of a second....geez!

Seandew, I am almost out of gush for your photos! I can gush no more than I already have: the photos are wonderful windows on species most of us "up over" will never lay eyes on! Thanks for sharing them!

Hi Tamlin,

The plants in the first photo are probably around 3/4 of an inch in diameter and were found growing on a ridge in very dry (baked hard) loamy soil. They weren't very common in this area. The roots would have had to be massively long to get down to any hint of moisture. This population was found much more inland than you will generally find them on this side of the country.

In other areas close by they were found in much greater populations (hundreds of thousands) in very sandy soil. They definitely seemed to prefer the sand. The D. peltata and D. macrantha ssp. planchonii grew much more prolifically there also.

The plant from the third image is one from the coastal heathlands. The plant actually grew in sandy soil on the side of a wet depression and was much more robust than others which grew nearby in drier soil. This plant would have easily been over an inch in diameter.

I've seen the plants growing very close to seeps below dams in loamy soils. I've also seen them growing over in WA in very sandy soil (almost pure sand) in areas that are seasonally quite damp. All in all it seems as though they can adapt to a range of environments but seem to prefer dry, open sandy areas close to the coast.

I've never had much luck growing this species from seed either. I reckon that GA might be worth a try though. I plan on collecting some seed soon (the plants are extremely common here) and trying out a few germination methods. I've heard that sowing the seeds early (ie- late summer) and placing the pot outside can work well (OK if you have the correct environment), I'll definitely give this a try myself.

Strangely I've never actually stopped to see how quickly the D. glanduligera leaves can engulf prey. The leaf structure is very similar to a D. burmannii which moves incredibly quickly so I imagine this would be the case for glanduligera as well. Next time I'm out I'll make sure I take a better look and report my findings.

Regards,

Sean.

Seandew

Thanks for the photos and information. They are just beautiful! You are so lucky to be where you can see these plants in their natural habitat. And so many!

Wonderful photos...those flowers are really something!

Suzanne

OK here is one of my pics...

glanduligera1.jpg

Im not real happy with this pic, it's not very sharp... and I'm not going to post the others...

But I did think this came out quite nicely, and orchid with a dodder growing on it!
pteranddoder.jpg

George

I sowed seed of this species in August using a wet stratification similar to that for Sarracenia seed, but in a more sandy mix. Seed was kept in the fridge until December, when it was placed into cultivation. There was no germination by Feb. which is a frozen month here. I placed the pots outside where they would be watered by occasional rains but sheltered. In June I noticed germination: sparse but exciting!!!

I have heard of growers in Australia that have the plants literally in their backyard, but seed will not germinate for them either when placed in pots!

I wonder how such a tiny plant can withstand such harsh conditions as you mention! It isn't a pygmy species, so presumably lacks the deep roots that they have to get them through dry conditions. If you get a chance, maybe you could see how long the roots really are in habitat. I would be very interested in learning this.

Hi Tamlin,

Next time I'm out I'll check out how deep the roots are. Should be pretty easy in a nice sandy spot. I'll stay away from the hard baked loams. I don't have the plants growing in my backyard unfortunately but have known those who have.

Regards,

Sean.

Back