What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is best for Mosquitos?

Hey, i was looking at the PetFlyTrap forum and someone said that the VFT werent that good for Mosquitos (Mozzies)
and someone mentioned that Drosera or Byblis are great, because i live Next to a canal and in south FLA, and there are lots of mozzy's, and want a plant that will catch them and eat them. its really frustrating, the doors and windows are closed in the house and there are no holes. just sometimes we have the door open with a screen, and some how those mozzies are gettign in, maybe its the garage. well anyway, they look really cool (the drosera) and when will i (and everyone else) be able to buy different kinds of varieties of drosera, on PetFlyTrap.com? anyone know what plant is really good for Mozzies?

Thanks

-Stefano

sup. Well, only female mosqitoes drink bllod. They arent atracted to the "dewyneess" of a byblis or drosera, but the males might be. your best bet in catching little/flying insects are the cape sundews. there big (about 6 inches tall), pretty, and produce alot of seeds.

Hey Stefano,
If you're not sure what a Cape sundew is, it's also called D. capensis. It is probably the easiest cp to grow and is beautiful when well grown.

to PFT:
do not consider that a request for you to offer capensis!
smile.gif
many, many people already grow capensis, or at least they grow cp that have capensis growing along with them as weeds!
but there are lots of awesome, but much less common sundews out there...
Chris

(Edited by Dionaea Enthusiast at 2:31 am on Feb. 2, 2002)

Try a Drosera binata 'multifida extrema'. They can get huge enough to cover a small window. The tenticles will catch the mosquitoes that come through the windows.

Good idea, I forgot about forked sundews!
I've wanted to grow multifida and dichotoma, but I just grow binata and the multifida x dichotoma hybrid, 'Marston Dragon'.
Stefano, humidity will definitely not be a problem where you live, but the high temperature would be with multifida. You'd have to take steps to keep it cool. It'd require more attention than capensis, but I think it would pay off. Since PFT doesn't offer forked sundews (hint, hint! we love sundews, guys!), you'd have to find one elsewhere online, unless you'd be willing to trade with a willing someone.
Chris

thanks all, so  maybe the D. capensis is the best right now?
when they grow, the seeds, where do they grow from and can i pick them to grow another one to put around the house?

(Edited by Stefano1 at 12:38 pm on Feb. 2, 2002)

Well I would go with D.Binata "Multifida Extrema" as CP2k mentioned. That would be the best choice for a wide area control of them. Or go with D.Binata "Giant Form" which can reach a diameter of nearly 4 feet. That would certainly give mosquitoes a double take on whether or not to take a can to come through the window.

Well I would go with D.Binata "Multifida Extrema" as CP2k mentioned. That would be the best choice for a wide area control of them. Or go with D.Binata "Giant Form" which can reach a diameter of nearly 4 feet. That would certainly give mosquitoes a double take on whether or not to take a can to come through the window. OR if you are a really expirenced grower you could try Drosophyllium.

But I doubt a dewy pine would last long in Florida without a greenhouse.

Well like I said. Expierience. And the equipment to grow it. (Which I should have added)
smile.gif

Or you can just get a can of OFF
smile.gif

Sundews and Butterworts work pretty good at catching flying bugs. Plus they have to land somewhere...and it is usually on a plant. ( at least the ones around here )

And DE

Sundews are coming. As well as Butterworts. Can't really say what is in the works. But I can tell you that I am getting the ones that aren't so readily available, but are still somewhat easy to keep. ( some that are harder too! )

I know capensis is all over....I am looking for others
smile.gif

D.binata 'giant form' requires a dormancy period while D.binata 'multifida extrema' doesn't, so it would be a better choice year-round for FL. 2 or 3 large plants of D.binata 'multifida extrema' should be large enough to cover a window.

Hi Jaie,
What species/hybrids of drosera and pinguicula are coming out?

Hey CP2K

The only one I will comment on now...is the adelae. I hope to have that one and the heliamphora up on the site before Monday!

There are things in the pipeline...but it all depends on how they grow ( quick or slow ) and how many I can make!

I am working on D. slakii ...possibly the next one...but it will be a couple of months
smile.gif

Plus there are more Neps. and Sarracenia coming...

Ok.

So I mentioned more than what I said I was going to ....

Now I have to kill you all
smile.gif
j/k

As things move closer to the date of me releasing them out...I will let you know...have no worries!

As always...my thank you to everyone in here is and always will be letting you know 1st what is coming!

Hey jaie here's a suggestion or question. How many different Neps are coming? And if you can what are they? N.Rajah and N.Clipeata? :cheesy:

Bless you Jaie!!
But NG, I think PFT is going to concentrate one the easier, more common neps first. And I already have a tiny rajah! Ha ha! But is annoying to care for without a greenhouse--I have to refridgerate it every night.
Chris

ME!
smile.gif

I got from Matt Sheehan, a local nurseryman an CPer.
He asked &#3630 for it, which I think is much less than what he paid. It's just maybe 1 in. across, though.

YOU! &#3630.00! Man my luck never changes! YOU!

It isn't going to be the common ones. It will be the easier ones to grow!! I think that is more inportant ( allowing everyone to grow just about anything they want!
smile.gif
)

Back