What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

With spring approaching (slowly) my plants are perking up and growing. Some of my droserae are now a couple of years old, and it is time for some transplanting and upkeep. My half dollar sized D. dielsiana in its 4 inch pot had roots fully 8 inches long: 4 of them, and thicker than pencil lead. After a couple of years of growth, the dead basal leaves pose some health concerns to the plants. Their presence encourages instances of fungal attack, and provide tempting shelter for insects like mealy bug, so it is time to do some housekeeping, before the growing season hits.

Drosera species look so delicate and fragile, but established plants are really quite able to take considerable handling without any ill effect. When I repot, I also change the substrate just to be sure no accumulation of nasty minerals and salts has happened. I turn the plant out of the pot, and wash away the old medium from the roots. With the base of the rosette exposed, I carefully remove the old basal leaves and spent scapes with a downwards pull, until all the brown parts have been removed, and replace the plant in the appropriate pot and well moistened medium. Roots are able to take some bending, but the longer they reach without wrapping around the pot the better, although few of us can really afford the space for 8 inch pots! If I repot to the same size as before, I arrange the roots to be in the same relative position as they were, and add the mix around the roots, tapping the sides of the pot to settle in the plant. Remember to use enough mix: the mix will tend to settle over time. Once the plant is in the mix, I tamp down the substrate around the rosette so the arms and traps are not in contact with the substrate, and the whole is then placed in bright conditions under high humidity. If your plants look a little sad, this will perk them up, and they will grow all the better after the deed is done, I estimate every 2 years or so with most of the tropicals.

This is also the ideal time to take leaf and root cuttings for propagation.

Does anyone have some methods leaf and root cutting propagation that they could share with Forum members?

My cutting methods aren't exactly a great science. I just pluck the leaves and lay them in the pot with the parent plant. Mostly I did this because my space was limited and I didn't have a lot of extra room for propogation alone. However I do thim that something about an established pot helps the cuttings develope better. I have no scientific proof or anything but from observation it seems that cuttings layed out in new pots of fresh media are less likely to strike. Or maybe it is just me...

Ditto. With root cuttings, I ..I have not done any propagating for a while, lol. Anyways, what I would do in Tamlin's example, take two of the four big roots and cut about half off. I would cut these pieces 1-2" long. I would think you could get six cuttings from these. I would make a slight furrow in the medium, so that there is just enough medium to cover the cutting from site. Keep damp under light, and you should get plants.

Regards,

Joe

You could probably take more roots than that for cutttings, but I usually am cautious about such things.

Regards,

Joe

Pyro

It could be that you have better success with cuttings in the pots of established plants because the substrate is 'aged' and has had chance to establish it's own protective micro-flora, which competes with pathogens and prevents them from rotting easily. Also, older, established pots may have had their excess nutrients flushed out too, that depends on your water quality (you could get mineral build-up if the water contains too many dissolved salts).

It is reported that pygmy Drosera establish and grow better in aged soil. I always try to mix peat/sand several months before I intend to use it for nearly all my CPs, and let our wet English weather get to work. I  always have several large pots of the mix sat outside in water trays, which I drain regularly. Since doing this, I have had far fewer problems with algae, fungi and mosses covering the soil surface and plants seem to establish well, whether from cuttings, seeds, gemmae or transplanting.

Cheers
Vic

Back