What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pygmy drosera id

I am in a bit of a pickle. I had hoped to ID this by the flowers and post the species name, but my fine feathered friends decimated my pot of this confused species to build their nests. Grrrrr. The root disturbance claimed the rest of the rosettes before they flowered for me.

If anyone has C-1 and can post a photo of the flowers, you will do a service for the many folk I sent this to. They should be in flower for you now.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Tamlin,

I have some subpar digital pictures. I think I have an analog picture that has been developed as well. I'll scan it tomorrow.

Here's one of the blurry pictures.
D.C-IFlowers2.jpg

More at
here.

The developed picture should be much better. Also, like I mentioned in another post, the labels might've gotten mixed during the fumigation move. Hopefully, these pictures won't make things more confusing.

Emesis,

Thank you my man! I do believe this is the plant, and that you have it right. My inclination is that it is D. nitidula x pygmaea, but I am sending the photos out to Phill Mann who should have a definitive answer for us soon.

You sent me c-1 last year, unfortunetely i mixed all 3 labels up then lost them
rolleyes.gif
I'm sorry to hear your c-1's died, would you be interested in gemmae of each kind from me? one of them is c-1, and I think they're the biggest ones you sent me
biggrin.gif

Tamlin,

The coloration of the digital pics are off. The flowers are more pinkish than they appear in the pics. I'll hook up my scanner tonight for the photograph.

Aside: I'm 90% sure that I mixed up the labels on the D. puchella and D. pygmaea "ESA", as D. puchella have stockier petiole.

Emesis,

There will be no problem telling D. pulchella from D. pygmaea, you have it right the petiole will give you the answer.

C-1 was more problematic since by gemmae time the rosettes had withered lamina making it hard to tell. Based on these photos, I am confident that Phill will agree that this is a hybrid.

Spec,

Thanks for the offer, but I do have this plant in cultivation. It is about to flower for me and that will further confirm C-1.

Well here is Phill's reply:

I wish you would ask an easy question.

The plant is obviously D. nitidula ssp omissa X.... but what.
Did you have gemmae of D. nitidula X pygmaea as I don't know this hybrid.

If I had to make a guess I would have said D. nitidula ssp omissa X occidentalis ssp occidentailis as the styles appear to be slightly clubbed but not ovate at their apex and they are in 4's.
____

I'll be researching this based on Phill's evaluation. I still am inclined to think D. pygmaea is the other parent, but I gotta do some digging.

Ok, I have dug! Reviewing my photos, I note that D. nitidula ssp. occidentalis x D. pygmaea has a different flower form, and expresses a greater number of 4-merous flowers.

Drosera nitidula susp. omissa X occidentalis subsp. occidentalis while very close has white flowers:

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/screens/Dnitxocc.htm

The mention of pink flowers is what nailed it for me: Drosera nitidula ssp. omissa x unknown "Lake Carbarup form".

I feel confident that this is the name that should replace C-1

It seems that I'm bit behind in the picture scanning, but I have updated the broken D.C-I1.jpg and scanned the following picture.

D.C-IPhoto.jpg

Hi Tamlin

I'll just jump in on this topic a bit late.

Here are some pictures of my D. nitidula ssp. omissa x pulchella, the stigmas are blood red like the C1, but appear more club-shaped.

omissapulchella1.jpg

omissapulchella2.jpg

These are my C1 plants, no flowers yet, but very soon. I will watch them daily, I'm at home all day, so shouldn't miss them, and will post a clear picture. Here are the rosettes, which under my conditions appear very similar to the above hybrid.

C1.jpg

Vic

After reviewing the data, I am convinced that my C-1 plant matches the one in the picture.

I was going to mention how the C-1 rosette closely matches my D. x baderupii rosette, since I only have 4 surviving pygmy sundews types (which makes identification easier if 2 of them are the same). Also, the flowers are similiar.

I noticed that the D. x badgerupii plants have only 1 flower per stalk. Is the parentage of D. "Cabarup" not the same as D. x badgerupii?

Here are some old D. x badgerupii pictures.
D.XbadgerupiiFlower1.jpg

D.Xbadgerupii1.jpg

Thanks for trying to solving this puzzle.

I found some more pictures at http://members.fortunecity.com/h7n/nitxocc/

Hey, this is fun! Vic, the fact that the styles on D. nitidula x pulchella have thicker ends leads me to discount this hybrid.

Emesis, The other half of the parentage of "Lake Carbarup" is not known. In my collection, Lake Carbarup also forms more of a stipular cone, and this is evident in Vic's photo as well. You note that "Lake Badgerup" typically have single flowers which further confirms the determination of "Lake Carbarup"

In my collection, Lake Carbarup forms a larger rosette than Lake Badgerup" and personally I think it has a nicer character (although I love them all). It is also the more rare of the 2, so it looks like everyone made out well, and I can be glad I sent out this gemmae.

Nice work my friends! This is an admirable demonstration of just how valuable consensus opinion can be!

I just remembered that there was a thread a while back by nick hubbell, he said he got a c-1 pygmy from william, and that he identified it! (I think) You might want to ask him about it
smile.gif

Tamlin,

I agree w/ your observations and opinions regarding D. x badgerupii vs D. "Carbarup". (I think the location isn't a lake.)

I am getting more impressed by the pygmy sundews each day. I grow most of my plants indoors by a sunny sliding glass door, but some of the pygmies growing outside seems to do very well.

D. pulchella X ericksoniae are growing much better in full blazing sun. (The indoor ones actually all died.) D. x badgerupii seems to need a bit more shading. Even D. capensis aren't doing as well as the D. pulchella X ericksoniae plants.

A good flower deserves another showing. Here are 2 more pictures taken today.
D.C-IFlower1a.jpg

D.C-IFlower2a.jpg

Emesis,

Actually the Australian suffix -up refers to a lake, so I assume this population is/was found in such an area.

I just received gemmae from a newly found population of D. pulchella x nitidula "Lake Mayaup"

Sure seems to be a lot of -ups down under :)

D. nitidula x ericksoniae is a man made hybrid produced by Allister Culham, and is both the largest and most gemmae producing of all the pygmys.  When given good space and full sun the rosettes resemble members of the petiolaris complex, although lacking dendritic hairs.
It is one of my favorites for sure.

All my pygmys do better outdoors, but I have noticed a combination method of indoor under lights for a couple weeks, then an out door stay, then a repeat cycle produced overall larger rosettes in most species.  These forms are not typical I think.  In the harsh Australian habitat the plants are usually much smaller. I hope to visit there someday to confirm this.

Has anyone tried crossing scorpioides with ericksoniae? This would make a very nice hybrid...

I don't know if it is possible, but it sounds interesting. I think you shoud try it!!!

I do not have scorpioides. Maybe I will get some next year and try a cross:)

Tamlin,

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">D. nitidula x ericksoniae is a man made hybrid produced by Allister Culham, and is both the largest and most gemmae producing of all the pygmys.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Just to clarify, did you mean D. pulchella X ericksoniae? Thanks for the background info on the plant. I'll log it in my database.

Under the hot weather here (I think it's very Australia-like environment), all my outdoor sundews are smaller. The D. spathulata plants have smaller rosette diameters than the D. pulchella X ericksoniae!

Emesis,

Thank you for the correction! Yes, I meant D. pulchella x ericksoniae....guess I have nitidula on the brain after this discussion!

I love the flowers on this plant: they have a metallic sheen to them, and no red stigmas, lol.

Back