What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hibernacula

Cole,

Right after flowering in the beginning of July in my range, D. rotundifolia starts to get ragged, and begins forming hibernacula. My D. intermedia does this later as does D. filiformis.

So what do you do with them in the meantime? Start giving them cooler conditions, or keep them going? Mine is in a tererium with natural day-length.

Cole

I don't do anything special. I reduce watering once the hibernacula form since the roots are no longer active. This reduces the change of fungal infection. I had great success in keeping D. intermedia almost dry, just a trace of moisture in the medium in conditions at or below freezing. Daylength seems to be the major consideration, but the plants really don't require much hands on care: they seem to do everything on their own, basically ignoring the details of indoor lighting in favor of the true photoperiod.

So when do they get the cold treatment? Does it start in fall, or do you start it earlier? If it starts in the fall woudlnt that mean they were forming hibernacula all summer for nothing?
confused.gif

Thanks!
Cole

I just let them do what they do since they're so used to it. The cold weather doesn't start here until mid-October. If you are growing your plants outdoors, they will follow their natural cycle. If they are inside, I would probably gradually reduce the moisture levels in the medium, and keep the plants out of intense light once the hibernacula have formed, aiming at a cold dormancy for somewhere around October. If there are tight hibernacula formed there is no worry. If the hibernacula appear loose, there is some cause for concern, but I have no advice to offer as to what to do. All my temperate Drosera species are outdoors and follow a natural seasonal cycle.

Hi,

I put them in a bag with live Sphagnum and put them to the other plants in the fridge. It works with small Sarraceniae and especially Venus flytraps!

Good growing!
Jan

P.S. A grower recently told me my VFT looked much better than his own ones. Mine grow in a terrarium all year with dormancy in the fridge, his grow outside!
wink.gif

Thanks for the help, I will do like you sugested. The hibernacula are still tight, they just send out a leaf every once and a while.

Thanks for the help!
Cole

Back