What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It\'s a MIRACLE!

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
I FINALLY had buds OPEN on my d. spath! Ok...it was only two...and I didnt see them fully open (I think maybe they had been open but were closing a little when I noticed them). They did close pretty quickly. But its the first time I've had *any* bloom. I just thought I'd mention it since there have been several people who, like me, just got buds and no blooms. So maybe the additional lighting I added helped?

I don't know but apparently they CAN bloom under artificial lighting...at least, a little.

Such little things brings such a thrill. Hmmm...I wonder if thats a good thing or a bad thing?? lol

Suzanne

WHOA WHOA WHOA!!! Don't give me a heart-attack! They actually opened? Man, Mine probab;y never will except in the summer when light is NO Probelem.

Well it sure made my jaw drop after all the scapes I've had that never bloomed. Pretty little hot pink flowers. :)

suzanne

Hey, it's a bad thing !
because you will get thousends of small Dr. spatulata everywhere (if some wind blows the seed away)

Dr. spatulata sets seed even if the flowers don't open, because they are "kleistogam" (is self-fertile the correct English word ?)

Martin

yup they are self seeders. But, dont you just love the lil plants? lol. also, you can tell if the flowers are good if the buds are reddish and if they are browniish they wont work 9a problem among the spahtulata growers with the fact buds die with out seeds)

So since the buds don't pen how do you plant the seed? And when wil the pods be ready and full of seed?

Well its not such a bad thing. I don't have any wind inside my tank. And I kinda doubt if much (if any) seeds will result. I normally cut off all the flower scapes. I have only let a few go and never had anything but unopened buds before. I will cut the stalk off before seeds drop and will sow seeds to have plants to give to newbies interested in drosera. Or I might need the seeds myself if I lose my largest spath to this fungus. :-(

Suzanne

About the Drosera seed: the plants are self fertile, and pollinate themselves when the flowers close. Let them be until you notice the sepals turning brown and/or the capsule seems to be opening. You can harvest individual capsules as they succesively turn brown, or wait until the entire scape has finished blooming. It usually takes about 3 weeks after the blossom closes for seed to be mature. Then, cut the scape off, and place in in a sheet of white paper, and fold lightly. Label it at once, so you don't forget later which seed it is, and place in a cool dry spot for a week or so. By then the seed will have dried, and will come out of the capsules if you lightly roll them on the paper. Fold a groove in the paper, and roll the seeds into a paper envelope, save some for yourself, and send the rest off to friends asap 10-20 seeds are usually enough for a single sowing, fresh seed germinates the best. Store seed in the fridge under cool dry conditions, and sow when warm, bright weather arrives. If your plants are not flowering, try to increase the light levels: this is not a difficult species to flower, and lack of successful flowering is probably due to too little light.

About the Drosera seed: the plants are self fertile, and pollinate themselves when the flowers close. Let them be until you notice the sepals turning brown and/or the capsule seems to be opening. You can harvest individual capsules as they succesively turn brown, or wait until the entire scape has finished blooming. It usually takes about 3 weeks after the blossom closes for seed to be mature. Then, cut the scape off, and place in in a sheet of white paper, and fold lightly. Label it at once, so you don't forget later which seed it is, and place in a cool dry spot for a week or so. By then the seed will have dried, and will come out of the capsules if you lightly roll them on the paper. Fold a groove in the paper, and roll the seeds into a paper envelope, save some for yourself, and send the rest off to friends asap 10-20 seeds are usually enough for a single sowing, fresh seed germinates the best. Store seed in the fridge under cool dry conditions, and sow when warm, bright weather arrives. If your plants are not flowering, try to increase the light levels: this is not a difficult species to flower, and lack of successful flowering is probably due to too little light.

Thanks Tamlin...I thought maybe light was the issue in the buds not opening. Having increased the light in my tank, I now have my first open buds. I will try to get the seeds (for sharing) although I know spaths are fairly common. I wish I had some rarer plants/seeds to offer people but maybe one day in the future.... :)

Suzanne

I happen to think that a carpet of spaths running across the bottom of my tank would be awesome... infact, I have let every scape on my spath reach towards heaven just because of that!

I would love that...

Suzanne? your having a fungus problem? you should get some fungicide from jeff and phil, and spray your tank down... it will END any fungus problem you have, I assure you!

OK I am confused here. Martin said the flowers don't need to open in order to get seed and other people are saying they just need to close together to get seed. WHat is the right answer?

Back