What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aloha, everybody!

I live in Hawaii, and I love carnivorous plants. But I just can't seem to get past the cold weather dormancy thing. I know that lowland Nepenthes can be grown in Hawaiian conditions, but I am wondering what Drosera and Pinguicula can be grown here as well? Barry Rice, a carnivorous plant expert, emailed me saying that there were Drosera and Pinguicula species that could acclimatize to Hawaiian weather cycles. So now I am trying to figure out which ones are suitable.

I've seen mention of 'Mexican' Pinguiculas, but don't know what altitude they are at. Here in Hawaii we have Drosera anglica, but only in one very high remote location. This species would die in my fish tanks because the temperature was too high. Any info you can give me on tropical Pinguiculas that do not require a dry dormancy period would be greatly appreciated.

Likewise, there is the matter of SunDews. I think they are among the prettiest of carnivorous plants. I know there are some 'tropical' varieties, but could you list those tropical varieties that do not require dormancy. I'm leaning towards Drosera intermedia (Cuba), for no reason other than it's point of origin.

I hope that some of you will be able to help me, and bless those of you who take the time to do so! Anyway, this list rules! I've found lots of information reading your posts!

Johji

Hello Johji

I understand your position since I live at roughly the same lattitude as you in the caribbean. My first choice for a sundew would probably be capensis, since I've had mine for almost a year (seed grown) and it does well for me here here in Puerto Rico. You might also try some of the petiolaris complex sundews, since they like warm-hot conditions (a have 2 seedlings of dilatato-petiolaris). I also have a D nitidula x pulchella pygmy sundew which has recently flowered for me, so you might try some of those too. There are lots of plants to choose from, you just have to experiment a little to see which ones do best for you.
smile.gif

Jœl

As mindmaze said, capensis is an excellent first choice. This pretty sundew gets large, is easy to grow, and doesn't require dormancy. If you can get hold of it you could also try Ivan Snyder's new plant, D. rotundifolia 'Evergrow', which is a tropical mutant of d. rotundifolia, and thus requires no dormancy either.

As far as pings go, mexicans need a dry dormancy and so might not be suited for hawaii. In artificiall conditions indoor you could controll this however and they might grow quite well. Ask in the ping forum
smile.gif

cheers,

noah

Hi mindmaze 128 and noah,

Thank you both very much for your advice and suggestions about tropical sundews! As we say in Hawaii, mahalo! I'm going to make getting a couple of Drosera capensis my project for next month. I will also try to follow up on your suggestions of other suitable dews and experiment a little.

Wow, there is a tropical version of D. rotundifolia? Neat! That always seemed to be the 'classic' sundew in the CP books I read when I was younger.

Peace be with you and yours,
Johji Wannabe

hey noah,
how do i find that d. rotundifolia evergrow? do you know of a place to buy one or trade for one ? that soundslike a great plant

thanks
Joel
biggrin.gif

Drosera rotundifolia "Evergrow" is another wonderful creation by Ivan Snyder, President of the LACPS, and expert researcher in the field of hybridization in Droseracae. Although Ivan describes himself as a "hobbiest tinker" his experiments in hybridization have allowed for some careful reconsideration of the status of some members of the genus, opening the door for reassigning some to species status.

This is one of his more recent hybrids, so you will not find it commercially available. Although the plant does produce fertile seed, it does not do so in great quantity, although this trait may become established in later generations of the plant. I believe he is applying for cultivar status for this plant.

Drosera anglica "Hawaii" x D. anglica "California" is another of his hybrids, and this nondormant form is becoming established in collections, and has been offered in trade in the past on the trading forums.

For those interested in reading of Ivan's experiments, here is an excellent article he wrote for the ICPS:

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/samples/Cult291Colch.htm

hey Tamlin,
thanks for the link it answered many questions for me.
i would like to make sure that i understand it though, so if you could tell me if i have it correct.

So, many plants with differing cromosome counts can be hybridized, but they  produce infertile ofspring. so he uses the sustance that he mentiond to double the chromosome count so that the unpaired chromosomes are paired. Thus creating a fertile plant,becouse all of its chromosomes are paired, making a stable chromosome count. is that correct or have i missed a vital point or is my understanding of this article skewed?  
confused.gif

I know that in human physiology if in repoduction if a cell were to become polyploidy it results in disorders like downs syndrome wouldnt this affect the plant in the same way by hindering chemical proccesses as it does in the human genome? Or does the simplicity of these plants keep that from happening?

Thanks

Joel
biggrin.gif

Hi Joel,
You do indeed have the idea. Matched chromosones will produce fertile offspring.

The second part of your question I can't answer in depth, genetics are not my strongest point. I doubt if any conditions like Downs Syndrome are found in plants, although reinforcement of lethal recessives would of course always be a fatal possibility.

hey Tamlin,
downs syndrom is not about rescesive genes,
it and its like dissorders are a result of cell division not being completed and their being doubles of certain genes. In downs syndrom it causes impaired nerve function and i am sure alot more symptoms including a characteristic physical appearance that poeple with downs syndrom have. that is why asked about its affects the plant in which this occures.

cheers and thanks

Joel

Hi Tamlin,

Actually, rotundifolia "evergrow" is a fertile mutant, it came up from normal rotundifolia seed and never went into dormancy. It then bred true. At least this is what I remember him telling me. I just sowed some seed, hopefully I will have some plants to share soon.

cheers,

-noah

Noah,

Interestingly, one of the rosettes seems to be forming a hibernacula, but the others show no signs of dormancy. My rosettes are quite small, about the size of a quarter, how about yours?

Ivan lists "Evergrow" as Drosera rotundifolia Gasquet CA X Willow Lake N. Plumas Co. Apparently some of the F2 hybrids were non-dormant.

Hi Johji,
What are the nighttime/daytime temps like in your area? What is the weather like year-round? I would suspect that mexican pings would do quite well in a shaded and protected area. P.emarginata, most agnatas and gigantea do not require a dry dormancy period.

Back