What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rotundifolia seeds.

I have seven buds. Tamlin recently told me wut to do, but I'm wondering, how many seeds do u think will be produced?

I still wonder if this is really rotundifolia. What color were the buds on this plant?

They are green...
Everthing is green because I cant give them enough light to colour... They can photosynthesize, but not quite enough for colour... I've noticed a BIT on my VFTs though...

I took a picture, but I have to get it developed now though...

The reason for my doubt is because Drosera rotundifolia is a temperate species, and like the VFT must have a dormancy to stay healthy. If you grew this through the winter, it didn't have that rest, and I doubt it would flower without it. I could be wrong, but I think this is probably a tropical species, spatulata comes to mind. Your last photo was of a very juvenille plant, I should be able to ID it now that it is mature. My rotundifolia are up and growing. It's amazing the way the bud opens, and within a week or so there are some 15 traps open and glistening. Here they flower around the beginning of July, and then set seed. shortly thereafter they start to yawn: their growth slows and they head for dormancy again. Ivan Snyder president of the LACPS has developed a tropical strain "Evergrow" that requires no dormancy. Now growers in the tropics will be able to have this plant in their collections, what an amazing thing! Hats off to Ivan!

Tamlin,
I didn't put my D. rotundifolia into dormancy this year either and they have flowered consistantly through the winter and still are. Does not appear to have stressed the plants any either.  But I would not recommend never allowing them to have dormancy. Just happened to miss them this year.

Cheers

I think it was dormant, but came out around february... I bought it and it was small... I've never shown you a pic, the one i did was just from the net... I'll scan the one i got once they're developed though... I think its rotundifolia...

What?!? You mean I don't know everything!?! :)

Well, while we are on the subject: has anyone ever seen a pink flower on Drosera rotundifolia?

Tamlin,
Actually my rotundifolia have pink flowers.

Hm, OK

I think that the flower buds DID NOT OPEN, like you, tamlin said, which is fine, but i can see the tips of the petals, all curled up withing the green, and they are starting to turn brown... The green is still nice and bright healthy green, but the petals that i never saw are browing... On all of the buds. When do i cut it off? The WHOLE stalk i mean...

Pink buds are VERY common where I know of a TON of Rotundifolia. I'll get y'all a picture of them on the hummock of Sphagnum in this spirng when i go back to it maby this weekend.

Back