What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dividing Sundews

I have roughly 15 D. Adalaes in one 8' inch pot (that was stupid of me
mad.gif
). Now, I would like to separate them into different 3'inch pots. These are shoots off from the original Adalae and I want to be careful of the roots. So, if you have any suggestions it would be helpful to me on how to seperate them?

Now the second part...hehehe. Once I do that I would like to share the wealth with the members of PFT forums.(it would really be hard to share with everyone with 600 members and probably send me to the poor house too;)) . You have all done a great job helping me
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
and much appreciated. I will make another post in the trading forum when I am all set to go. As I need to get some more pots and find some small boxes for shipping. Also have to see how much the shipping will cost
wow.gif
and how many I want to ship. So it may take a bit of time before sending out the plants.

Thanks,
travis

ps
This will also give me experience on shipping plants.

When I seperated my rotundifolia I ended up killing a few of them just becasue the roots were so long. Then again I was seperating them inside of a terrarium and I couldn't dump all of the peat out. Since your pulling out the entire kabob just make sure that your gentle when untangling the roots. I don't know if this species has the same root length as rotudifolia but hte whole #### plant is root. Good luck and if you do decide to trade plants or give for sase send me a message because I'm always looking to try out new species and would love to trade if possible. Shauntell

It would probably be smart to use a root rake like they use in bonsai, to seperate and trim roots. You should also use teeny, tiny scissors to cut any roots that don't give !@#*
Just my $0.02

Travis, I would just recomend keeping the humidity as high as possible. Large zip lock bags work great, just keep them out of direct sun. Good luck, Jack

Yea... Pamper the babies... Put them in little baggies and in dappled sunlight as to not overheat the bags...

To get them off I would take the whole plant out and just sorta with your fingers ever so gently untangle them... Like shoelaces...
tounge.gif

confused.gif
Put them in plastic bags? I was going to put them in 3'inch pots and send some out. I am guessing you mean putting plastic bags over the pot for humidity. I have been keeping my sundews in a 10-gallon terrarium so thet get the artificial light (little do they know...:D ).

It is roughly going to cost $3.20 to ship each plant out - I will have to see how many I can get out of the bunch. I just need to find pots then I am all set to transplant.

Thanks,
travis

Not yet..I need to get more three inch pots, I currently only have one 3'inch pot. I plan on getting more soon.

travis

If you shipped them semi-bare root in a cassetta case it may be cheaper than if you did it with pots...

I am sorry...I have not forgotten about this and still plan on giving away plants. I just need to find 3' inch pots...ghrr. I am going up to the U.P. on the 3rd and should be back on the 8th. Then I will try getting these plants shipped off. O' one other thing is I need to find small boxes for shipping...I believe I would still need them even if I shipped them bare root. It may be while but I am working on it.
smile.gif

Maybe I posted this to early...
confused.gif

travis

If you s hip them barroot, then you can ship them in say, a film canister or sumthing of the like. I use cassette cases to ship small plants... It would be cheaper than if you used a box...

These are pretty nice size plants, there are a few that are small...that is a good idea. I am sure some I could ship some like that too.

Thanks,
travis

I just packed up a bunch of burbidgeae babies... I stuck them all in a cassette case... If you take a hot knife you can kut off the nublettes that hold the cassette in place. I actually recieved all the burbidgeae in a video case... They are a bit bigger...

I will give that a shot. Thanks Parasuco. I will ship them when I come back from the U.P. I am not the fastest person in the world but I will ship them
smile.gif
when the moon is right and the stars are twinkling
tounge.gif
at night.
tounge.gif

Thanks,
travis

I have know idea how many I will be able to ship yet...as I will let y’all when I am done untangling them all.
wow.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">cut any roots that don't give !@#*[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I don't recommend removing any of the roots. Even the small roots will be able to sprout babies via root cuttings. I have babies sprout from 1" roots that I accidentally broke off when repotting. But I just planted them and got some babies.

I'll take as small, or as big as you need. I'll take the "runt" i guess
confused.gif

Well I divided them...I have no clue if they are going to survive. All I know every time I have transplanted my Adeleas(once) they have survived. Just to let you all know I only have three pots of Adeleas and 2 have been taken and the other pot I am keeping...As I said this is to get experience on dividing sundews and shipping out plants. Knowledge is power but you must first practice
smile.gif

Travis

Oh, another cheapy and light method that I use is to put it in a ziplock bag either bareroot or with a little soil. Then use bubble wrap, and cut it into strips or a cut-out square. Tape the wrap to the inside of the bag, with the plant in the middle and half an inch away from the bubble wrap strips. The plant has plenty of air/space/water, and is cushioned if it gets thrown around. You can put some cardboard in the envelope if you prefer. Now you can ship it in an envelope, and it won't get squashed! One stamp (in your case maybe two) and you're good to go!

The way I just recieved a plant in a trade from dodec was that he took some styrofoam... It was a flat piece, with a square cut out of the center. The plant (a genlisea, so it was small), in a little plastic ziplock baggie, in that cut out square, so it wasnt squashed, and it still fit into a bubble envelope...

I personally prefer my way though... The cassette cases are free for me because my house if full of them, and shipping them xpress post is also definatly my choice over regular mail so that my plants get to my friends faster, and more safely... I'm guessing its just me whos like that because I really do not see money for wut it is worth... If its spent - its gone, I wont get it back, so i forget about it... Hehe... well, its not all drawback...
tounge.gif

it depends on the size, the small ones, I agree on casette cases, the larger, video. Then you just put the label on it, and away they go!
sad.gif
smile.gif

Back