What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

drosera binata varieties

hello
biggrin.gif
which varieties of binata have to have their dormancies respected and which can i get away not giving one. i have drosera binata and small red, but would like info on any that you have .

thanks,

Joel

These guys can be grown year round and be fine.

D.binata multifida varities do not require dormancy. D.binata and D.binata dichotoma varities will do dormant in winter.

Actually, according to Peter D' Amato, D. binata goes dormant during the winter and is quite cold tolerant. The small red form of D. dichotama goes dormant in late summer, and returns the following year.

With all due respect to Peter D'Amato, I have grown all these varities year round without any dormancy. Just keep the plants warm, watered well and with a long day photoperiod. If the plants do go dormant, keep them cool and just moist. My plants have experienced short "snap" dormancies when exposed to cooler temps, but this only has lasted several weeks, and then the plants resumed strong growth and flowering. Dormancy is a good option if you cannot provide good winter light which the plants require: it allows them to conserve their strength for growth in happier times.

What are the indications that your plant has gone dormant?

I, likewise, have grown them all year-round with no problems at all. And occassionally one will go dormant. This is characterized by the current leaves slowly dying back while no new growth is initiated, then a few weeks later the plant starts to initiate new growth and away it goes.

I grow all my binata varieties outdoors. The ones that want to go dormant are free to do so. If they don't, that's cool too
smile.gif

Guess I should put my binata back into more favorable conditions then
confused.gif

I find dormancy only lasts a couple of months, quite short.

Most dormancys only last three months anyway.

I have experimented with the dormancies of drosera with some nice results. I denied dormancy for my Drosera capillaries 'alba' and binata and they are growing fine for awhile now. I guess if the plant looks kinda down, give it the dormancy.

Back