What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello,
     I just got the following seed, but which ones need to be refrigerated for storage?

Biblis Liniflora,

Drosera gigantea,

Drosera macrantha ssp. macrantha,

Drosera nidiformis,

Drosera capensis,

Drosera intermedia "North Carolina",

Drosera intermedia,

Drosera anglica "Traustein, Germany,

Drosera anglica "Kasilof, Alaska",

Drosera rotundifolia "Kasilof, Alaska",

Drosera rotundifolia "Traustain, Germany, and

Drosera filiformis var. filiformis.
Thanks for all of the help!
Spec73
biggrin.gif

Generally, plants which when mature need dormancy need refridgeration, or "stratification", to induce germination. For some other seeds, refridgeration also helps extend life span when storing. However, I am assuming you want to sow these as soon as possible. So, to answer your question the following seeds benefit from a stratification period:

Drosera intermedia "North Carolina",

Drosera intermedia,

Drosera anglica "Traustein, Germany,

Drosera anglica "Kasilof, Alaska",

Drosera rotundifolia "Kasilof, Alaska",

Drosera rotundifolia "Traustain, Germany, and

Drosera filiformis var. filiformis.

Drosera nidiformis could use it also i believe. I think byblis also can use this period but I've germinated them without it.

hope this helps.

-noah

No, I want to store them. (I Might be moving soon) But I'll prob. germanate the byblis seeds.
smile.gif
Thanks for the help
smile.gif

All seeds should be stored in cold, dry conditions with the possible exceptions of Nepenthes, Utricularia, Genlisea, and Pinguicula which are best sown asap as the germination window seems quite narrow.

....add to the nono list for cold storing are tropical droseras especially petiolaris complex.

-noah

Back