What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sundews

Are there any sundews out there that move fast or curl around their prey? Like if a fly landed on one of there leaves i would like it to curl up....fast.

D.Pauciflora
D.Burmanii
D.Alicae
D.Slackii

The fastest Droseras are listed above.

Nep.G.

add Nepenthes Gracillis, because his reply went up hella fast.

What Rampupy? I don't understand what you said. :confused: Nep.G.

1. Drosera burmannii (the outer tentacels from my plants can turn in a 90° angle within 1 second !!!!)
2. Drosera pauciflora (should be the second fastest, I couldn't try this for myself, because my seedlings are too small)
3. in my experience : Drosera scorpioides.

my Drosera aliciae don't move very fast.

there are many sundews I don't cultivate, so my top 3 need not be the holy truth !
But I think, Dr. burmannii is definitly (one of) the fastest.

I was saying to add you to the list NG, because you replied so fast, your post went up in minutes, and since your named after a CP, I was making a very poor attempt at humor! ;0)

Well the reason the post went up so fast is because I use the refresh button every couple of minutes to see what new active users there are and if they have posted any new posts. Wouldn't you kill to hear my real name! Nep.G. I also don't think N.Gracilis is one of the fastest moving CP's. It may be at growing but at catching it's a hunter;it just sits and waits for prey.
smile.gif

heheh Ram

you said hella

LOL

hehh.. hehhh... hella... hehh.. said it again!

NG! I know Nep. Gracillis is a pitfall trap! SARCASM! SARCASM!

I like humor...

So with these burmanni if u put a bug on their leaves they would instantly curl around it? amazing. Do these sundews need a dormancy period?

Burmanii need no dormancy. Yes they would NOT pin the insect down hard just lightly until later then it finishes it off. Also There is one drawback to burmanii. It dies off every season I think. Am I right guys? I then must be reintroduced by seed. Nep.G.

(Edited by nepenthes gracilis at 7:30 am on Dec. 12, 2001)

I think actually that burmanii can be kept growing for longer if it is not exposed to cold. Even faster than burmanii is d. glanduligera, which I think is the fastest of the genus. The seed of this one is hard to germinate though.

Noah

My understanding (which IS limited) is that burmanni are loosely considered annuals. Thats one reason I have hesitated to get one. But I will probably end up with one eventually. There are still many on my "want list".

suzanne

That is the word I was looking for PlantAKiss. ANNUAL!! Yes Burmanni is an annual. It must be reintroduced by seed or leave or root cuttings,etc. Noah I have never heard of D.Glanduligera. Could you get a website with a pic.? Nep.G.

Yes it is very similar to D.Burmanii. It looks a bit smaller though. Thank You for the website it was a great help since I have never seen nor heard of this sundew. Nep.G.

I will gather more info on burmanni and see what i can tell u guys.

Cool,a reasearcher and local of Burmanii.

Drosera Burmanni

Location:N Australia,India,Asia-Tropical to Subtropical climates.

Ok to grow this species u have to live in a warm climate if u want to keep it long. Can't tolerate temps below 10 degrees celsius(fifty degrees fahrenheight).
Must be kept wet in summer and allowed to dry out in winter. Many of the tropical species experiance a dormancy during winter, with the entire plant drying out above the ground and survivng underground,similar to a tuberous sundew. Environment these species needs include the wet and dry seasons. The dryseason being warm and totally deficent of any rainfall for five months-the dormancy period. The wet season brings the onset of near continous rainfall and humidity between 70%-95%-the growing period.
pot in a sandy mix,about 50%sand,50%peat.
watering:keep pot in a tray of water during summer. Keep pot only moist during winter,removing it from the tray.
It says this sundew is an annual so i guess that means it only lives for a year....it doesn't seem worth the work to me...

Many annuals self-seed easily but not sure if that applies to d. burmanii. If an annual seeds itself then they wouldn't so bad to grow. Or for that matter, if you can collect the seeds and sow them yourself.

suzanne

Back