What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lake Badgerup - self pollinates?

Hiya,

I've got a Lake Badgerup (Drosera nitidula ssp. omissa x occidentalis ssp. occidentalis) flowering. Does anyone know if these self pollinate or whatnot? I'd love to have viable seed. Thanks in advance.

Almost without exception pygmy Droserae are self sterile. In the case of true species, clonal variation is needed for successful pollination (i.e. plants from two distinct geographical locations). Hybrids are always sterile (Badgerup is a hybrid). I have heard of pulchella setting seed, and pygmaea, but these are exceptions and seed is not reliably produced.

I also recieved a lake badgerup plant from CP2K... Only one survived as far as i can see, its about the size of a dime... Does this mean that I wont have any gemmae to increase the amount of pygmies in my pot this fall?

lucky ppl, the bunhci got from CP2k all died lol.

The ones I got in trade were originally from CP2k, but I live in the same climate so maybe they're acclimated to this area? I dunno. I'm going to have to make a new post for this gemmae stuff....

Gemmae are not seeds, and Lake Badgerup will produce a good amount of gemmae when daylength gets under 12 hrs.
You will see them form in the center of the plant when the time is right (around late fall/winter I think).

Back