What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gemmae

Thanks again to all who sent me gemmae. Some are growing already.

What is the best size for them to be before transplanting them to their perment pots?

wink.gif

chuck
Scottdsale AZ

You will definatly need to transplant before they develop the long roots. Then it gets dificult. I transplant mine right after they sprout, and have a few roots to anchor them down on their soil.

Cole

Oh, Great!
mad.gif
mine are getting big already...and I haven't transplanted them yet!!!
mad.gif
now they are this long:

but what's so bad about them bbeing big when you transplant them? does it kill them? I hope not......
sad.gif

They get really long thin roots so when you try and transplant them when they are bigger they tend to break, so you might loos some to shock. Just be carefull and transplant asap
wink.gif

Darcie is right, if you are careful spec, they shouldnt be too terribly long, just they hate being disturbed very much. They should be fine if you can get almost all the soil from the surrounding area & not break the roots.

Get a pair of tweezers, and go in from the top of the rosette straight down. Try to grab some of the mix so that it presses around the thin root, and pull straight up, gently. Have the transplant hole ready, and of the same length as the unit you are removing. Insert the whole thing without releasing the pressure until the transplant is in the hole.

Back