What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird growth

I have a d. capensis and am wondering what the growth is about an inch up on the plant, looks like a root of some sort, like a carrot growing upside down. the plant is also seemingly unstable. I'll try and get a pic, but don't know if it will take, my other cape is fine...

Flower stalk maybe? Have to see the pic first to really tell what it is.

SF

Sounds like an adventitious root coming off the stem of the plant. When plants get larger and develop a long stem they will periodically send off these roots to help stabilise the plant.
Quite often they can be an orange or red colour.

In the wild in South Africa old plants can become quite elongated with previous seasons growth. As this happens it requires more effort to get water and nutrients up to the leaves of the plant from the roots. These adventitious roots are another way of gaining moisture as well as stabilizing the plant.

Regards,

Sean.

Hey, that's pretty neat! I didn't know they could do that! So could Mcrwt644 just cut off the top of the plant and stick it in the ground and let it grow?

I'd still like to see a pic of this aerial root!
tounge.gif

SF

I'll try and post a pic over the next day or so...it isn't a flower stalk, it is growing out of the side of the plant right below the active leaves, where old leaves were cut off (a long time ago). the plant is in excellent condition, but like I said, it is leaning a bit and isn't very stable, like the other one. My wife said it looks like the plant doesn't have enough soil to support it, but that isn't the case, at least the soil level.

Back