What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

d. adelea terrarium question

im hoping some of you cp experts can give me a hand in getting my sundews into shape...

i keep several d. adelea in a 20 gallon terrarium that is kept between 70 and 80 degrees. i also keep the terrarium so humid that the glass is fogged. the light source for the terrarium are 2 2-foot growlights that sit on top of the terrarium (about 10 inches from the plants)

my sundews are growing but despite the high humidity they are dry. occasionally a new leaf will sprout with lots of dew but quickly dries.

the new leafs are comiing in more reddish than green. i used to only have one growlight and the leaves were a healthy green. am i now using too much light?

can someone help me figure what to do in order to make these sundews prosper?

Hmm....I think you are giving them way too much light. I have mine in a 20 gallon extra high aquarium and they are doing wonderful! But I think that since there is enough humidity that isn't the problem. The light probably is. I have mine under 1 flouresent tube. Also what are they planted in?

Chris,

I would argee with NepG that it is probably too much light. D. adelea is kind of strange in that it is one of the few sundews that prefer lower light conditions. I'd drop back to one light and see how it goes. If you are worried that will reduce the light too much then place aluminum foil (on the outside with the shiny side in) on the sides and bottom of your terrarium. This will reflec some of the light back but still be less than that provided by a second light.

Pyro

thanks for the reply nep g...

im using the tray method in the terrarium.

i thought maybe there was too much light too...

i also keep several other plants in the terrarium (variety of flytraps, a ping, a couple of n. ventricosas, and a few s. purporeas..

the s.puroreas arent getting that red/veiny look so im wondering if theyll be ok with only one grow light

will removing the second light from the terrarium adversely affect these other plants? they seem to be doing well with 2 growlights.

i usually move the flytraps and s. purps outside during summer weather where they do fine so im really only concerned about the sundews and nepenthes in the terrarium.

thanks again i really appreciate any advice that will help me keep the little killers healthy...

thanks pyro

i forgot to mention that i am using the tin foil around the back and sides of the terrarium...my bad

im going to try removing the 2nd grow light and see if it helps.

please see my previous post in this thread about the other plants i keep in the terrarium with the sundews..

will removing the 2nd light be bad for the other plants?

thanksagainyouguysrock

The reduced light may affect the S.Purpurea and maby the VFT. But if they are in dormancy or have just come out of it I wouldn't worry as spring is just around the corner. The reflective foil is a good idea as the Pitcher Plant and the VFT will be OK off the light out put until warmer weather and more sunshine.

thanks everyone...

ive removed the 2nd light and have just the one gro-light now. i still havent seen any positive results with my sundews or my neps but i figure it may take a couple of weeks for them to adjust.

if they dont respond well ill be back for more pointers from you guys

Back