What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

feeding my D. Spathulata

if i stick a small bug on my Drosera Spathulata whats supposed to happen next? do the leave actuall move at all or does the bug just get digested as is?
-thanks

For that species, I think the tantacles will be the only thing that will see action. The tentacles close by will slowly move to reach the bug and start digesting.

Not too many Drosera have visable tentacle motion, so you will have to do a time delay method of observation to appreciate the activity: check the plant hourly, and observe what is going on closely. Some "faster" species include glanduligera, burmanii, sessilifolia, and good old capensis. I watched my capensis alba ensnare a blue bottle wasp yesterday, quite large it was too! I would never have thought it capable. Within an hour, the leaf had rolled around the wasp.

With my spathulata, if I come back at intervals, I will see more and more tentacles bending over toward the bug and about an hour later the whole leaf will be folded in half over the bug. I have noticed though with some spiders that remain motionless the leaf will be slower to react, but I guess when it gets "a taste" of the spider and determines that it is something to eat, it eventually folds in half also.

John

With my spathulata, if I come back at intervals, I will see more and more tentacles bending over toward the bug and about an hour later the whole leaf will be folded in half over the bug.  I have noticed though with some spiders that remain motionless the leaf will be slower to react, but I guess when it gets "a taste" of the spider and determines that it is something to eat, it eventually folds in half also.

John

Back