What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sundews in my bog

Here is the corner of my bog that I grow most of my sundews and VFT's. Both have started to self-seed and babies are popping uo every where.

dew.jpg

The black thing in the corner is a solar cell light, so I can have lights without electricty. My husband surprised me with those. You can also see part of the plastic liner.

Sundew.jpg

Very nice. Can you tell us a bit more about your bog. I would like to know about its construction and location.

Thanks,

Nick

VeRy nice bogs u have!! and also with the aquatic and im sure many more!...
wow.gif

What drosera are those btw?
I want to learn to start identifying, and I would gUeSs that is an intermedia, but I could be wrong...
biggrin.gif

I think you are right about those being intermedia, I also have rotundilolia and filiformis in other parts. As the seeds spread they get mixed together. The bog is built into the side of a small mound , too small to be a hill,in my backyard. This allows the front to be a rasied bed and the back to be even with the ground. This helps prevent chemicals and dirt from getting into the bog. The back and sides have planters so I can grow non-carnivorous plants. It is lined with two layers of clear plastic without any intentional holes. The first layer is pure river sand and is about 12-16 inches deep. The next 12-18 inches is 2 parts peat and 1 part river sand. I mixed the top mixture in a cheap kids pool to have it completly saturated before putting it on top of the river sand base. I placed stepping stones in it so I can move about it without stepping on plants or sinking. In retrospect I should have used more than three, but I can reach every part of it to weed or plant new plants. I started out with a mixture of both CP and non-CP plants. I have gradually removed most of the non-cp plants with the exception of some pickerel weed and an elephant ear plant. I trim the blooms on the pickerel weed before it has time to set seed. I have not made any major additions for about a year. So most of the plants are well established. This fall I plan on building an attached water garden of about 100 gallons. I am limited on space for it because we had to fence of the bog to keep our dogs out.

Magore,

Nice job with the bog
biggrin.gif

What is the humidity outside where you live?

How hot is your summer?

I live outside Atlanta GA, the humidity is always high. The temps stay in the 90's in the day and mid to high 70's at night.

Nice bog and plants. I notice that there are moss growing already. Did you plant it there or did it somehow self-sowed itself?

Therewas some moss on some of the plants when I planted them and it is slowly spreading

those look very much like intermedia (temperate forms), unless those are light straved rotundfolia lol. Nice bog. Just wish my dews can do well outdoors here in SF!

those look very much like intermedia (temperate forms), unless those are light straved rotundfolia lol. Nice bog. Just wish my dews can do well outdoors here in SF!

Back