What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sundew Photos

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, please stop the bowing and kissing and "Mastering" and all - you obviously have me confused with someone else, as my feet certainly do not smell. (Still, I appreciate the kind words, and I *am* proud of my plants).

I just posted some scans of some more Brasilian droserae, and maybe they will make their way here through cyberspace from Japan (hint hint). Anyone else have any good photos to share, possibly of the tuberous Australian species? Purdy please? C'mon, awe me, I need regular doses of awe!

i take hints well....  
smile.gif
 here they are.  for all viewing pleasures...  i sure wish you would repost your pic though..  i don't think many got to see it...  *hint hint*

Drosera oblanceolata “Lantau Island Sunset Peak Hong Kong
1032414251.jpg

A more recent and better scan of this gem

Drosera capillaris “Praia Do Imbe Rio Grande Do Sul Brazil
1032413997.jpg

Another wonderful Brasilian Drosera species from seed sent by a good friend in that neck of the woods

Drosera montana var. tomentosa Morro do Jambeiro Grão Mogol Minas Gerais Brazil
1032413667.jpg

This one promises to be quite different! Note the stipules. Very slow growing, this has yet to mature.

Drosera montana var. tomentosa lateral view
1032413311.jpg

Same plant as below, again, the commonly seen variety

Drosera montana var. tomentosa
1032412946.jpg

This seems to be what I have mostly seen as D. montana var. tomentosa. Again, no collection data. Still, it is a beautiful species, attaining a rich red color in good light.

Drosera montana ssp. montana
1032411404.jpg

No collection data on this, and very few differences to D. montana ssp. tomentosa that I can see. Hopefully the plant will flower soon and the scape will reveal some differences.

THERE YOU GO!!!  
andrew
by the way.  since i am helping post the PICS that gives me rights to the PLANTS right??
smile.gif
 :-\
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
  (please don't say yes...  i will prolly die from the honor alone!! ) (but you can if you want...)  they are *MOST* beautiful...  i love eye candy.  i keep going off into a daze and the next thing i know...  i am licking the screen where the pictures of the plants are      is that bad??

Andrew,

I have licked a lot of screens in my day too before finally finding likeminded folk to share these plants with me.

I am absolutely dedicated to propagating and distributing the Brasilian species, and when I do, they shall be yours with great pleasure.

They are slow growers though, so a little water is going to go over the dam before this happens, but happen it will, sure as frost.

Good news on that front: Drosera "sp. emas" ( a sort of chrysolepsis apparently) is up! I just got a good amount of seed of Drosera villosa and Drosera kaieteurensis (the latter from taxonomist Paul Debbert's material) and will sow them as soon as my No Damp Off arrives, now that the summer heat is mostly done.

Things will be hopping here in a season or two! I seem to be getting the feeling for these plants:)

Thank you for bringing the new photos up on this page!

About my photo: if I send it to you, do you have a way to post it? Drop me an email tamlindd@yahoo.com (I can't find your addy in my files, so please write&#33
wink.gif

Here ya go.. hope you guys don't mind.. Here's Tamlin for everybody who didn't get to see him before the picture dissapeared
smile.gif

12947793-c301-028001E0-.jpg

Pinguiculaman,

Drosera falconeri loves full hot sun. Mine are outdoors most of the summer in a closed terrarium. Just ease the plant into outdoor conditions to avoid burning the leaves, and try to keep it warm at night (bring it in before sunset).

Seed is not produced unless there are clonal variants which are crossed, similar to binata.

I have heard of a method of reproduction, but you probably won't like it anymore than I do! It involves splitting the crown and roots vertically, and planting both halves so produced. I haven't tried it yet though.

I started by obtaining two of these plants and so far, mine have grown best in a sealed ziploc bag close to an incandescent light bulb (very bright and over 100F inside bag).

I have two plants and had heard of that drastic physical division propagation method Tamlin has mentioned. I did try it, but my technique was inadequate. Though one of the halves regenerated, one of them did not, a very emotional experience.
sad.gif
Outcome: I still have two plants, though now one is weaker than it once was. I really want to propagate this specie so I'm sure once it recovers I will probably subject it to that torture again.
confused.gif
biggrin.gif

Beautiful photos...all of them! I never get tired of looking at sundew pics.

And nice to see the grower of such beautiful plants. Glad you posted it. Now all you have to do is sing us a song.
smile.gif

Thanks for all pics everyone.

Suzanne

Back