What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera spatulata

I swear these rosettes are going to melt through the pot they're in! These plants came from misidentified Brazillian seed, but after seeing the form this plant has, I am not disappointed in the least!

Drosera_spatulata_AWM-1_r.jpg

Hi,

Stunning plants, don't look like spatulata in my eyes though. Looks very much like the undescribed brazilian Drosera species that Fernando calls D. sp. "Congonhas" or something similar.

Regards,

Christer

Christer,

You may be right, I will know more when the plants flower. I am totally unfamiliar with this "species"! Thank you for your insight. It would be remarkable if the plants really were this!

Amazing Pictures, Tamlin!!! @_@

Striking plants. I am absolutely taken aback by the species.

Wow William, Great Drosera! If you look at a picture of Nick Hubbles Spatulata, they look almost exactly like yours...
confused.gif
How much light are you giving them? What temperatures are you keeping them in? Will you be offering any seeds of this species for sale in the future on your site? Sorry for all of the questions, I'm just curious.
-Spec

Marvelous colour! Looks like a small volunteer coming up at the bottom of the pic.

Ooooo, pritty. Let us know when it flowers!

Fernando replied to my inquiry about this plant, and agrees with me that it is D. spatulata. It might not be a Brazillian species, but it sure is beautiful.

This is a good example of why it is good to try out what other growers have in their collection. The variability in the genus Drosera is always a surprise and a delight. By accepting plants and seeds of species already in your collection you open the door to experiencing the beauty of this diversity while coming to appreciate what makes them the same.

What little beauties! Gorgeous color...and great photo as always.

Suzanne

Spec,

Sorry I missed your post :)  I grow these plants just as all my other tropical species.  This means outdoors from April to October and inside in the winter directly beneath 8 balanced spectrum 40 watt flourescent lights, tray watered, occasionally allowed to dry off to just moist.  Temp. ranges vary with the season.  Winter generally 65F days 50F nights, in summer whatever the Mother wills :) but generally  75-80F days and 65F nights except in the hottest part of the summer.    All do receive a good night time drop in temperature year round, and I think this contributes to the vigor of all my plants.

Yes, the seed is available as AWK-1, but who knows what the plants will look like if you grow them?  These plants respond differently to different  growers techniques, and many small differences in climate and substrate composition.  No matter how you grow them, if you grow them well, they will be rewarding :)

Tamlin

Those plants look quite similar to a D. spatulata form I grow which came to me as seeds of 'lovellae', but as they have quite dark pink flowers, I doubt there are this form. They are however, my favourite D. spatulata in my collection at the moment.

It's at times like this that I realise how useful a digital camera is (I'm working on it). My plants are just sending up their flower scapes at the moment, fancy a swap?

Vic

*This is a good example of why it is good to try out what other growers have in their collection. *

tamlin i whole heartedly agree!!!!!!!!!

Back