What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera capensis...which for is typical?

I've been trying to figure this one out for awhile, but it seems to go back and forth depending on what you read and when. Can anyone clear up which one is typical between narrow leaf and wide leaf capensis?

Narrow Leaf

Wide Leaf

They look like the same plant to me...just one is thicker (bushier) than then thee other. The D. capensis I have is the thicker one.  I am not sure if that is because it is in a small pot or not.

I looked it up only Narrow Leaf, Albino, Red and Typical are registerd names. But Typical can also be called "Wide leaf" or "Stem Forming". The name "Wide leaf" is sort of misleading because thats not the main difference in the plant from 'Narrow Leaf', rather, Typical(wide leaf) produces stems that multipull leaves can then branch off of while 'Narrow Leaf' only grows leaves directly out of the crown.
smile.gif
Because of this, narrow leaf plants grow more organised and look cleaner. From what I can tell, most captive bred plants are of the narrow leaf form because of this
wink.gif

Ok, so typical is wide leaf and wide leaf is typical. Gotcha. Thanks everyone.
smile.gif

Well I am confused? What do I have? I will post a picture some time today...
confused.gif

The plants shown in the link as 'Wide Leaf', have much wider leaves than typical (or type) D. capensis and they are definately not the same. This form, which is also known as 'Broad Leaf', only appeared over here in the UK about three years ago (I don't know how long they have been around in the US) and neither are registered cultivar names, probably because this form does not appear in the 'Savage Garden', which is the published description used to establish the other cultivar names of this species.

Typical D. capensis, have leaves more like this, D. capensis 'typical', this is on quite a young plant, and 'Narrow Leaf' has them even narrower, I can't find a picture that shows this difference online, but 'The Savage Garden' does (p. 128). Also, D. capensis 'Narrow Leaf' does not form the long stems that the typical form does.

Vic

confused.gif
Hmm, I guess this is where the confusion really starts. So, there's 'Typical', 'Wide' (or 'Broad&#39
wink.gif
and 'Narrow' leaf? Wow, i'm gonna need to sit.
wink.gif

And there are some other unregistered cultivars out there too, such as 'Giant', 'Purple', 'forked scape', 'Merry go round' etc. etc.
Maybe lying down is a better option
biggrin.gif

Vic

Doh, and all I wanted was a D. Capensis 'Giant Purple Merry-go-round forked leaf'.
sad.gif

Well I have to get in on this one! Allen Lowerie lists all sorts of Drosera capensis variations in his catalog, and this returns us once more to the question of exactly what "typical" really means. This typical form refers to the "type" collection, a representative of which must be placed in a herbarium before publishing the protolouge of the "species novae". This representative sample cannot reflect all the variations found in a population, and indeed the various literature and Keys must be taken with a measure of leeway for different appearing members of a given population. Taxonomy attempts to reduce this indivduality to basic fundamentals, but these organic beings will never be exactly defined by these efforts of typification. Just like you and I, they are all individuals. Taking a typical representative of a species is like choosing one American to represent all Americans.
In regards to the variations of D. capensis "typical" and "wide leaf", I agree with Vic's assessment. In appearance at maturity they are quite different. Sadly, because so few forms are registered, there is no central reference to be consulted, and one mans narrow leaf is another mans typical. Only by growing on material from other sources and observing it relative to what you believe the typical form is will you ever really know if what another is referring to as typical is what you are growing by the same name! This is an excellent reason not to turn your backs on the lowly D. capensis, if you already have it: the population members are individuals, and this will become apparent the more you try what other growers are cultivating. Maybe 9 times out of 10 it will look very similar to your plants, ahhh, but that 10th time.....!!!

Forms that I have found to be distinct from each other are D. capensis typical, thin leaf, wide leaf, all red, x rubra and albino ("alba" is incorrect). Most of these names are unregistered. I have found the "giant" forms to be largely a matter of cultivation difference, but if anyone has what they feel is a truly giant form, I am interested in growing it!

My personal favorite is the x rubra: an all red form with very long petioles. I'll try to get a photo up of some of my capensis forms soon.

Situations like this are precisely why the registration of cultivars (cultivated varieties) is so helpful. Don't forget that presently it costs nothing but a little thought and time to register a cultivar of a CP.

Check out this link:
Registering CP Cultivars

So what one is the more common type sold in stores?

Well here is what we know:
True Narrow Leaf do not form branchings stems (normally)
Albino has white flowers with pink glands (who the heck named this one, thats not albino, lol)
Red is red
Typical is green leaf, red galds, produces branches.

Now, someone go and define a minimum standard for wide leaf!

Here is the "x rubra" form. The plant is reported to have come from the Bonn Botanical Gardens. I have never seen the like of it. This was taken in deep winter, and the plant has lost its typical red overall color in the petioles. You can see the tall graceful form though.

Drosera_capensis_x_rubra_AC_r.jpg

Wow, cool, it looks like a better colored narrow-leaf. Do you have an average width to the wide leaf type? It seems that it should be defined by that, at least in part.

An average would be . 75 cm.

The x rubra is very different from any typical or thin leaf form. There is no mistaking this plant for any other D. capensis, especially when the typical coloration is present: the plants are a deep maroon, and look like they were spray painted.

That is a very nice capensis Tamlin!!! So red and happy...Well mine is not that red but their is a tint of redness to it.  So what kind would mine be?
DSC00016.JPG

Thanks,
Travis

Travis,

I would say the typical, but it is hard to tell from the photo.

Back