What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Capensis care

Right, so far I have lost two Capensis' due to these little white things that move around on my plants. Can you let me know if as the leaf of a Capensis starts to turn black, do I cut the black part off or the whole leaf. I normally keep my plant on a sunny windowsil with outher CP's but they are always fine. It's just the Capensis that I am having problems with. I feel a little embarassed seeing that they are meant to be one of the easiest to grow.

Thanks.

Hi,

Little white thing??? That sounds like white flies maybe... I'm not sure. Anwyay, I would grow the capensis outside. Capensis likes A LOT of light, and they can take the low humidity if you live in a more aridy area :) When capensis doesn't get enough light, it gets dark green, short, wide leaves with little or no "tentacles". I have rarely had problems growing them outdoors, however, as long as they have a good supply of water. Hope this helps!

Noah

elongated narrow very small and move very quickly and look silvery in the light? Probably thrips is my guess.
Tony

Are thrips the same thing as spring tails? and are they a problem?

Thrips are not the same as harmless springtails. Thrips are most commonly found on sarrs, but they will suck the juice from other cps as well.

I have actually kept what was left of my Capensis after it was infested with what I can only describe as white dots, maybe the size of a full stop, moving on my plant. It's now growing back slowly so here's hoping I haven't killed my second plant. If the problem ever does come back, I'll find out from a Nursery what it is and I'll let you know.

Aphids are white like that sometimes in my area. They are just white dots crawling along the plant. I hate aphids, I started keeping my butterwort close to any plant that shows sign of aphids to keep the numbers down and they never stay long that way. I think butterworts are the best small bug catcher.

So I could put my Ping Weser near it if ever I see the little rascals? Not a total cure but it does help i guess?

Back