What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Binata flowers

trashcan

O:-)
When should I expect my Drosera binata to flower? Or did I already miss that?

Patrick

Most of everything that I have fowers as it comes out of dormancy. In Early Spring.
If you think about it...all plants usually flower in spring or fall when temps. are a bit cooler. Nothing really in Winter or Summer.

My &#360.02 :cool:

smile.gif
Binata is a tropical I think, it doesn't have dormancy does it?

I think Binata is supposed to flower when it's old enough and happy enough... but I am not an expert on this plant... so hopefully some one who is will correct me!

D. Binata is not tropical-it's actually temperate-i'm not to sure weather or not it requires dormancy, but being found in australian temperate climates i dare say it does-just stick it in the fridge pot and all for 6-8 weeks and then take it out-dormancy isn't really required but there is no harm in giving it a light dormancy period. Don't worry about taking this plant out of the soil and putting it in a plastic bag because binata is so hardy i doubt keeping it in the pot will harm it as long as you thoroughly spray it with fungicide first.

Thanks for clearing it up Mondo! I have to say having some australians on the board does come in handy from time to time! (Yer special forces aint to shabby either! Thanks for them too!)

Any how, so a light dormancy is ok, but not a must? That is good to know.. my Binata is still very young, should I give it a dormancy period?

I'm a little confused too. I was 100% sure that there was no dormancy for d.binata, and I went to look up some links to prove Mondo wrong (plastic.com style), but I was wrong. I was so sure tho! Oh well, I guess everyone makes mistakes.

Patrick

Hi guys

Another 2 cents worth (these're Australian cents so I guess it's only a cent to you guys, and gals, in the US). I have a binata that is flowering right now. I also have about 20 others that are not. They are growing here in tropical conditions and have come from Singapore where I assume they never did get any dormancy either.

Binata comes in quite a few different flavours, mine are all either mulitfida or multifida extrema. I believe that the vanilla flavoured ones, your standard 2 fork binata, comes from southern NSW and around there. Thye would require a short dormancy. The more forked ones such as I have are from QLD and therefore don't need any winter.

Trashcan is your binata a multifida or a regular vanilla one?
Why has mine flowered?
It has just been repotted, but so have all of them. Sometimes stressing plants causes them to flower and that's why I think mine is now. Other than that I suspect Ram is closest to the truth, if they're happy ....

Cheers, fatboy.

Mine's just regular 't-form.' I had a pair of multifida's but they died when I seperated them (there were like 8 binatas in a 3 inch pot). :-(

Patrick

My binata is flowering now, darn it. Thought the scape was a new leaf til I saw the flower bud. I think its confused. Like Ram's, mine is young also. I am worried about the dormancy issue as well since its so tender...I am reluctant to send it into dormancy when its just started growing. I don't know whether to leave it alone and let it continue to grow or toss it out with the other CPs outdoors for a good chilling. I don't want to lose my little binata!

Suzanne

if the plant wants to grow, let it grow. (and be happy !)
Give it dormancy next year.

Thanks Martin, Your experience is appreciated.

Martin

I wish I could do a "brain transfer" and suck all the drosera knowledge you have in your head into mine! :) It will be many a year before I know half of what you do. But I will plug along with my little plants and pick up the bits and pieces of info as I go. I will leave the binata alone and let it grow. I will be happy to have it to look at every day any way. Soon I will be getting a d. nidiformis...so slowly the collection grows...

thanks
suzanne

Hi again all

My binata multifida is really getting into it now, masses of flowers any time now.
I now have another two that seem to be going into flowering mode also.
I am going to try and grow some more plants fro myself but if I get a lot of seed - anyone want some?
No promises at this stage but as I said, if I get a lot then whoever puts their hand up first.

Cheers, fatboy.

Hand Up!!! My Hand is UP!!! ME ME ME!

Multifida has more than one branch to it right? or not... Hmmm... I lent savage garden to my Bro... darn...

I have the standard T Form, but I am always up for more!

LOL Hi Ram, yeah I see your hand is WAY up.

Correct, the multifida's have about 8 branches on the ones that are flowering right now.
There are a couple that have just 2 so I guess they are regular binata's, but the majority are multiples of what appear to be 4, 8 and then some.

Ram I gott a resend those pics to you for your site. My wife is away in Japan for a few weeks so I have had very little time to sit at this screen here. I'll repost the pics tonight, assuming you receive them this time please respond with your postal address.

Cheers, fatboy.

will do... I have not had much time to work on the site lately... but I hope to get back it it soon.

Back