What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaf cuttings

yeah, how big does a sundew have to be in order for you to sucsessflully do a leaf cutting. Does it have to be mature, or can it still be a little smaller than mature?

You would probably want a plant that is about 1/2 grown. I had some D. intermedia "cuba" that were just at flowering size when I got them. Due to an unfortunate error, the plants died away, but the leaves ended up producing plantlets. I ended up with twice as many plants as I started out with.

A very young plant probably will not have enough mass to survive long enough for a plantlet to form.

Thanks nick. Just wondering if the spatulata was big enoughfor a cutting. I will probably make one tomorrow

Just wonderin, how long should i wait to see some growth?

My favorite way to produce more Drosera from leaf cuttings is to float them in clear glasses of water. It works wonderfully and you can watch the progress very easily through the glass.

This technique works with many Drosera, though not all have been successful.

I like the idea of trying it with, for instance, Cephalotus, thanks for the suggestion.

I will post some photos here of the process in action once I get home, later tonight.

Float them? I hadn't thought of that. Doesit work with other spieces as well?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PinguiculaMan @ Feb. 19 2003,1:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My favorite way to produce more Drosera from leaf cuttings is to float them in clear glasses of water. It works wonderfully and you can watch the progress very easily through the glass.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
So you're saying I can take a cup of water...a leaf from a drosera...and just place it on top of the water and it should reproduce? Hmmm...can't wait to get a glass of water when I get home.
smile.gif

Tamlin,

Dew side up, right?
tounge.gif

Just a suggestion, but it 'may' work better in the super thrive solution. thats just a guess though. im gonna try it also.
BTW, wats up with all the people writing form school and work?? tsk tsk tsk... OOPS, im being a hipocrite again!

Back