What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fiddleheads

My spatulata is sending up 4-5 shoots that are often described in the plant world as Fiddleheads.

I don't have a photo but here is a graphic that describes what I am referring to:

http://www.lib.unb.ca/Texts/Fiddlehead/graphics/fidhead_icon6.gif

What are these new growths going to turn out to be?

They aren't new leaves for sure(there are plenty of those popping out all over). Could the fiddleheads be spatulata flowers?

Your plant is getting ready to flower. My D. spatulata have been flowering for several months and I have had as many as 40 flowers on one scape. The plants will self pollinate or they can be hand pollinated for a better seed set.

Some people cut the stalks off to keep the plant from being stressed from flowering. If you do not want seed, you can cut the stalks off.

Hey, how's it going

Those fiddle head things are most likely emerging flowers stalks. My plant was delivered to me with just one fiddlehead, it has not produced more so far. The flowers have not pop out of the stalks yet, I wonder how long that takes. I hope my plants starts to make more flowers soon. How many flower stalks do you have? L.A Trap

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LOs Angels Traphole @ June 24 2003,4:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey, how's it going

Those fiddle head things are most likely emerging flowers stalks. My plant was delivered to me with just one fiddlehead, it has not produced more so far. The flowers have not pop out of the stalks yet, I wonder how long that takes.  I hope my plants starts to make more flowers soon. How many flower stalks do you have? L.A Trap[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I also expect them to turn out to be emerging flowers,but I'm not sure.They have been growing for the past week, but so far ,I see no evidence that they are becoming flowers,as I know flowers.

I counted five of these fiddleheads as of this morning.

Yup, those are flower Scapes (in the cp world we call them scapes, not fiddleheads), my drosera spatulata has about 30 of them at thment, I can guarantee you that they will turn out to be flowers, every time mine did lol
tounge.gif
And besides, what else would they be?
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
confused.gif
rolleyes.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Maehem @ June 24 2003,7:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">They will turn out to be flowers, it can be a really slow process though.

The good news is that in my experience, the longer it takes, the longer the stalk, the more flowers you get...

Here are a few links that may help you.

flower heads unfurling (last row pic on the right)

this one is D. adelae but the action is the same[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

yes.gif

Ah,yes....the top link is what I was writing about.

The fiddleheads on my plant are still tightly coiled ,so I suppose it will be a few days yet before the flowers are developed.

Thanks for the photo!

yes.gif

the smile head moves up and down when i move my mouse! lol

Sure your're not having visions?
deepsleep.gif

Back