What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Urg... adelae problems...

FlytrapGurl

apple rings.. what more can i say?
Both potfulls of adelae are wilted at browning. I think it's because of the weather getting cooler lately. They're used to 90+ degrees, but lately, it's gone down to around 70 in the coming of fall. They get plenty of water and all, but still, they look... sick. Since I knew they can't have dormancy, I moved them out of the greenhouse outside and into my bedroom, which is the warmest room in the house, and put them on the window sill. At night I'll put these two square plastic covers over them to keep them moist, and during the day I'l take them off so they can safely sunbathe. I'll see how this works out and I'll keep you posted.

Greetings,
FTG

in my expierence, this doesnt sound like a temperature problem, but it may quite well be, i'll explain later. Right now, it sounds like they are getting burned by something, etheir high light levels or some other item. My own adeale died back when temps reached about 90F+, so i guess yours got accostomed to the high temps, so the downfall of temp is harming it. Mine were never used to alot of heat, so when one day the terrarium got to 90F+, almost all my plants died back.

Hello FlytrapGurl,

I experience the same thing with Adelae's at times. I believe that this is in their nature to die back after a period of growth. In my experience, the plants look fine until the pot fills up with new offshoots, then the parent plants die back, even though the growing conditions stay pretty much the same. When this happens, I just repot the new growth into more pots and go from there.

sorry that I cannot be of more help,

Homer

Homer is right. The plants just never seem to last as individuals, relying on a clonal clumping strategy to keep the ball rolling. Just keep the pot under cultivation, even if the rosettes die back, and you should soon get replacement rosettes from the roots. It's just what they do.

Alrighty then. Thanks all! I still have them in my bedroom in the window sill, and the biggest one seems to have perked up (that's the one that keeps doing strange things), but the other one is still real sick lookin'...

Back