What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

have to spread the Joy!

My madagascariensis'botswana', natalensis, and deliesiana have sprouted today and yesterday, iam unbelievbly happy. In the last week i have had binata dichtoma "smallred" and byblis sprout not only that but in the last two weeks i have had lots and lots of spatulata,  burmannii, and intermedia cuba sprout up like weeds.  inumerable thinleaf,alba,wide leaf,and typical capensis also sprouted. another great thing is a beautiful drosera that i got labled as ssp. auyan tepui has put up a flower scape, this is turning out to be a very good month. most of this has happend after only having the seed in the ground a few days !
biggrin.gif
i am jubulent!  
biggrin.gif
 just  months ago i could never have dreemed of having a drosera collection like this.
dont think me pitifull but some times between studying and food i jsut sit and stair at my plants,in utter admiration and awe. I think my neighbors think i am nutts, and i know that my family does. I would to if i saw some one staring into an seemingly empty trays every day, multiple times a day.
wink.gif

well  i hope my my utter and complete happiness has helped to brighten your day
biggrin.gif

smile.gif
cheers
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
Joel
biggrin.gif

Joel, buddy, are there enough plants to feed a body to, yet? I have some #$@!heads in mind today.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

I can even send you body PARTS if you think that would work better
wink.gif

Might really encourage them to grow more, so more joy for you, too!
wink.gif

Seriously, though, congrats! It's VERY satisfying (spelling stinks, sorry) when all you hard work is rewarded (NOT like here at work. grumble grumble).

Good going Joel!! Was the "Botswana" from seed I sent to you? Did you get a good germination rate? I am very glad to hear the seed did well :)

I know what you mean about staring at the plants, all my neighbors think I am pretty strange too (well I am&#33
wink.gif

Now the question is, where are you going to put all those seedlings!! I suggest you transplant them after they get 3 or 4 true leaves, or at least some of them. Transplant is always easiest before the long roots form.

If any of my seed failed to germinate, please keep me posted on this so I will know not to send it out. Thanks.

yes that is from the seed you sent me and the germination rate remains to be seen, i am going to give it a week or two before i am able to tell agood germination rate,i only planted them 3-4 days ago, thoughit is looking good so far. a couple have sprouted in the live and long fiberd sphagnum and a couple in the peat/sand/perlite mix. mold has formed over some of my seedlings in the peat/sand/perlite mix but they seedlings are seemingly unaffected by it, and grow quite well in the mold.

all the seeds that i have planted that i have recieved from you have given a high germination rate, except the capensis wide leaf i only have two germinations out of the whole set of seed that i planted. which was the only disapointment out of the batch. And the jury is still out on the alicaie. i have not planted the tuberous drosera or the glanduligera yet, i plan on getting a air conditioning unit for the terrium in the next little while like the next few days if my budget allows.

i have already begun to break up the clumps with tooth pics and transplant them into other pots.It takes a long time to do!But it will be worth it in the end. Transplanting hundreds and hundreds of seedlings is rather tedious, obviously,esp. with the mesquitos.

i would like to note that vermiculite seems to be working very well as a drosera seed medium at least as a good part of the mix. The seedling not only sprouted in it but are growing rapidly, drosera burmanii espescially. there is a problem with using it, which is that it drains out of the pot easily and right out of the mix,and placing an abundance of l/f sphagnum at the bottom doent keep it very well. i am using pure peat at the bottom of the pot to keep this from happening now and it seems to work very well.

well i think that is it.

cheers,

Joel

Congratulations! How I envy your success (and I mean that in the friendliest way&#33
wink.gif
. I recently purchased a 'Botswana', which has shown no signs of dewing. On the other hand, it isn't withering like my D. paradoxa or D. petiolaris. But nevermind that!

My best wishes to you, and your infant Drosera! May you both thrive and know the wonder of life for years to come!

Johji

Back