What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well, I do try, but I make mistakes too. The Drosera echinoblasta I sent out should be Drosera echinoblastUS. Please update your labels, and put me in for another pieing at the First International PFT Picnic, whenever the heck that is.

Other mistakes include D. burmanii: should be D. burmannii.

Uhhh, the photo of D, natalensis on my website is D. dielsiana (you can't rely on the rosette shape, and the styles lack the additional bifurcation that defines natalensis).

There are other similar mistakes, but I am working on them. Thanks for all the nice comments on my website! We are in the process of putting up some higher resolution scans, and I am adding photo's all the time at:

http://home.twcny.rr.com/tamlin/index.html

Tamlin, I'm relatively new to the CP experience and to this site. I'm still learning what's what and who's who. I've been looking over your site this morning and I'm very impressed and fascinated! I haven't read everything yet but as always with new projects I'm amazed at how much there is to learn.

My small (but growing) collection consists mostly of fly traps and pitcher plants. I have one sundew (spathulata) and a friend is sending seeds for burmannii. Having looked over your site and the excellent photos, I'm even more anxious to get started! I think that I will be turning to your site often not only for information but for inspiration!

Thank you very much!

On the topic of spelling....
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have one sundew (spathulata)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

That's spelled Spatulata. No "h". Boy, you're lucky I caught that before Tamlin did!
wink.gif
wow.gif

You might'a got smacked with the Mallet!!
wow.gif
wow.gif
wow.gif

Hehehe, it should be lower case also, ie "spatulata" not "Spatulata" so get in line yourself, Schloaty, lol.

Finnish Kid,

Welcome to the Forums! Are you from Finland?

Yes there is a lot to learn, and then they keep changing things on top of that, lol! I am a student too! Thank you for the nice comments about my site! Wait until I get my higher resolution shots up. I think I like scanning the plants as much as growing them!

As for inspiration, you sound already inspired! All it really takes to succeed with Drosera cultivation is a love for the plants, and paying attention to their needs. I look forward to exploring these plants with you.

D'OH!!!

Now I have to go write it 1000 times on the blackboard!
sad.gif

Thanks Tamlin!
No, I'm not from Finland, but I'm of Finnish descent. I don't speak Finnish either, aside from being able to swear like my granny
smile.gif
I'm a photographer in Seattle, if that helps to place me on your map...

I have a question for you about your higher res scans. Are you taking photos of your plants and then scanning them? Have you considered using digital? A computer monitor can only show about 72 dpi, if you have a higher res than that, it won't be evident to those viewing your site. In fact, it will only be adding to the storage amount and could even slow your site down. A higher res scan will only help you out if you are planning on printing your images for hard copy. If you used digital, you could save yourself a lot of time.
smile.gif
Just an idea, from a photographer.
I'll be checking back on your site, it's already bookmarked. The photos are awesome!

Well, I sutainly am not one to complain on spelling errors, lol! What I can't believe though, is I didn't have your site bookmarked! o_O Taken care of that now...
hmm, this Burmannii 'red tentacle' must be from you then, I was trying to remember who sent it so I could say thanks, so thanks
smile.gif
And if this is a second stop for the seed, whoever sent it and the Aliciae and the Capensis 'Red' thanks much! (I've got the hang of seed propigation now so they will be pamperd to the extream)

-Darcie

P.S. Oh, and I highly recomend those Jiffy-7 peat pellots, they are real high quality peat and the netting makes it easy to rince them.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FinnishKid @ Mar. 08 2003,02:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Thanks Tamlin!
No, I'm not from Finland, but I'm of Finnish descent. I don't speak Finnish either, aside from being able to swear like my granny  
smile.gif
I'm a photographer in Seattle, if that helps to place me on your map...

I have a question for you about your higher res scans. Are you taking photos of your plants and then scanning them? Have you considered using digital? A computer monitor can only show about 72 dpi, if you have a higher res than that, it won't be evident to those viewing your site. In fact, it will only be adding to the storage amount and could even slow your site down. A higher res scan will only help you out if you are planning on printing your images for hard copy. If you used digital, you could save yourself a lot of time.
smile.gif
Just an idea, from a photographer.
I'll be checking back on your site, it's already bookmarked. The photos are awesome![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Oh yes, wonderfull point. I recomend(if your into it enough to pay for it) doing a high res scan, placing it in photoshop and then opimising it down to 72dpi using photoshops various web tools. You can also reduce the number of colors most of the time and still get the same on-screan quality
smile.gif

All the scans are digital. I get great detail with some files aclose to 1000KB, and lately have been using my photo editor to trim them down.

Back