What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laterite?

Hello,

Is Laterite good for all pygmy sundews, D. Dichrosepala in particular? Should it be mixed with other things (peat, sand, perlite) or should it be used alone? Thank You, LA Traphole

I grow D.dichrosepala and dichrosepala ssp. enodes in peat:sand 1:1. I do not think laterite is necessary to grow good looking plants of the above.
Some sp. like barbigera and lasiantha, grow best in laterite.

I believe what laterite helps to do is hold the minerals for plants to use. From the way it sound on most CP's you do not want minerals and such in your growing median.

I use laterite for my fish tank. Picture of the well growing plants can be seen here.
http://www.geocities.com/elgecko1989/community.html

I agree with Cp2K, laterite is probably not required for most species. I do use it in a mix with sharp sand and a bit of peat as a topdressing for some summer sensitive species, but it is more in the way of experimentation. It has a nice look to it though, and so far the plants i have used it on seem not to mind it, if not actually prospering from using it. The Petiolaris complex plants seem to respond well to it...too bad it's so hard to find and expensive when you do. I would like to use it more.

There is a very nice article on growing pygmy Drosera and the various soil types on the Carnivorous Plants of Western Australia web site. The article is at Cultivating Pygmy Drosera .

Cheers

Back