What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Drosophyllum

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
So I am very lucky to have successfully germinated a Drosophyllum seed. I came home today to find it has started feasting, 5 gnats on its 2 little leaves. This is just so cool!

Pyro

Wow awesome , your my hero of the day! Can you get me a pic?

If I can find my camera and if I can figure out my scanner. I'll see what I can do

Pyro, congratulations! I love Drosophyllum. It is a really effective trapper. The plants can become almost black from trapped insects! When it gets larger you will notice that the whole plant gives off a really sickly sweet honey like smell! I personally quite like it! The flowers are large and a bright golden yellow. If the plant tries to flower this year don't let it. Usually it will weaken and die if this takes place on the first season.  Flowering does 'blind' the stem but it soon re-branches and produces more heads, occasionaly toplling over from the weight!
8955231-d3bf-01530200-.jpg

Drosophyllum Lusitanicum

very nice ~~~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Cant wait for mine to germinate lol!!!!!!!!!!

Ceph88,

Patience is the key (well, that and good fresh seeds.) I think Richard gave me the best advice ever when he told about how he has friends scatter the seeds in other plants pots to cut down on him playing with them every day. It motivates you to look after your plants too
smile.gif

I am just hoping that now that I got my seed germinated I can get it past the first couple months which, according to everything I have heard, is the most difficult phase.

Wish me luck

Pyro

Pyro, how long did it take to germinate your Drosophyllum seed?

It took about a week but I have heard it can take upto 8!

Pyro

Hi Pyro,

seems i have to diagree in almost every point with you.

In MY experience ....

Drosophyllum is one of very few cps where you can store the seed for several years (fresh seed wouldn't be worse, of course)

Don't put your seed in your pots, because it is very difficult to transplant Drosophyllum successfully. It works (not always !) with very small seedlings but you shouldn't try ist with bigger plants.

I must add, that I don't have much success with Drosophyllum. At the moment I have one pot with two relativly big and one smaller plants .

I know that Peter D'Amato says, that you shouldn't put more than one plant into a pot, but the biggest Drosophyllum I have ever seen where about 5 plants together in a big pot. (Sitting in a tray of water during the summer !)

@ Richard :
if you like plants capturing A LOT of prey than you should try Roridula !

Martin,

I have no problems with you disagreeing with me. After all you have experience and I don't
smile.gif

Pyro

God I am going to cry! All these people with these plants and I can't even get my hands on a seed!
*cries everyone a river*

Hey, thanks for my very own river!
smile.gif
Pyro thanks fopr telling me!

Here, let me join you... *cries*

I WANT ONE!!! lol
smile.gif

They're so pre-tty...

I liek the mature ones were its a stalk with unfurling leaves, like fawns... I like how it doesnt move, a fly lands, and dies, in the same spot. Its so nice. I want a drosophyllum... Gimme... J/K... Hehehehe

Back