What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D.slackii

wuts up with this plant? it seems no one has it! i regret not buying one from peter damato at the bacps meeting last year lol. Now that plant is on my most wanted list! i was able to track down D.hamiltonii and the others i wanted but slackii and cunefolia is so hard to get! Does anyone noe where to get a slackii or cunefolias?

Hi Zach,

The reason nobody has this plant is because it is relatively new to cultivation and a lot of people don't want to "ruin" their plant by taking leaf cuttings to propogate it. I have d. cunefolia seeds, I'm trying to germinate them in tc right now. If things turn out well, this and many other rarer droseras will be more common pretty soon. Tc rules!!!

Noah

"...Tc rules..."
confused.gif
?
I definitly prefer "normal" grown plants over TC plants...
Natural selection rules, at least in my opinion !

especially with plants which are as easy to propagate as sundews.

Drosera slakii new to cultivation ?
That's new to me ;o)

Martin

Hi Martin,

Slakii is not new to cultivation, but it hasn't been around for that long either. It was discovered 1980, named '87, and only some collections have it.

Tc does rule, without n. bicalcarata would still cost &#36100, and it would take thirty years for a new plant to hit the market. Besides, tc can be used without actually producing clones. For example, one could throw a bunch of drosera seed in and get mature plants in only a few months. I agree there are downsides, for example small genetic fields, etc. but tc isn't all bad either. For example, I'm hoping to have some mature d. graomogolensises in a few months... thanks in part to tc.

Noah

yea, tc does produce rarer, harder plants in a short amount of time but i still enjoy the gamble of regular peat/sand/etc lol

TC is a practical thing. If not for tissue culturing, the millions of Venus Flytraps wouldn't be produced that get many people, including me, interested in cp. If we only produced flytraps with 'natural' methods, people would turn to field collecting flytraps to satisfy their interest in them(ironic). The same is true with other carnivores. TC is the only way to satisfy a lot of growers, quickly. Noah, it's cool that you want to make rare plants available to growers like me, because I'm not interested in TC, but I realize it's huge importance in horticulture. I'm not trying to 'slam' you, Martin.
Chris

I have been growing slackii for 15 years. it is very easy and impressive! it was named after Adrian Slack, a well known British CP enthusiast who founded Marston Exotics CP nurseries, and was previously grown under the name 'Highland Red'

Hi gardenofeden,

Would you be able to post me some seeds/plants? I would love to get those in tc as well, they are almost imposible to find in the US. That way I can redistribute them here so more people have a chance to grow these.

Noah

P.S. I have things (d. seed, some rare) I could trade in return if you want.

Noah,

Keep up the good work with the TC. I think the hardest thing is to acclimate TC produced species to the "real world". Did you successfuly introduce graomogolensis to TC? That is great news if you did (and put me on your donations list, this is a plant I need for study, and it eludes me still.

Tamlin,

postive.

Noah

OK should have some seeds next summer! Remind me.

Great! Thanks... Would that be next summer for me or for you? June or December?

Noah

Never mind... You are in the UK aren't you? For some reason I thought you were down under. This coming summer 2002, correct? Thanks again.

Noah

Gardenofeden, What do you grow your Slackii in? I have tried growing this species before but haven't had much luck with it. I grew mine in a typical peat/sand mixture. It just seems to get weaker each year. I read somewhere that it is hard to establish in peat mixes. Do you grow yours in a sphagnum mix perhaps???

california carnivores grew there slackii (or at least the ones for sale..y didnt i buy one lol0 in a mix of chopped long fibered shagnum and perllite.

I should've just bought one when I had the chance. Ceph, they also substituted perlite for sand? I haven't had much success with perlite in too many Drosera mixes(excepy for the dilatato-petiolaris I'm germinating). A mix of sphagnum and perlite must be very 'airy', which must be the purpose of the perlite. PFT, it would be awesome if you ever offered slackii, if you managed to obtain any, and if you warned growers about its moderate difficulty(so I hear).
Chris

hmmm, I use perlite for all my droseras. I don't like using sand, its too heavy.

Noah

yea, its kinda wierd using perlite but i guess slackii likes airry roots. U noe something, imma call up CaliforniaCarnivores and ask em to bring a D.slackii for me to the BACPS meeting in feb2
smile.gif
so i can buy the darn thing and put all wantings of it behinnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well ,if they got one of course..lol.

I am working on getting some this Spring...maybe march/april

If things work out...I will have many others (cross your fingers for me!)

I will of course let everyone know when it happens. :smile:

Back