What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

humidity question

I put a goldfish bowl over my plant because one...it fit perfectly over it... and 2 because the humidity in my basement was really low (30 - 40% at best) ...my question is... is my plant getting enough air? i don't want to suffocate it because its glass...i go down there every once and awhile to take it off ... and let it breath and i stare at it for awhile... is there anything i should do to help it?

ah yes, a cheap subsitutue for a tank lol. Why not place the plant in the bowl and cover the top 1/2 way with plastic wrap. i have found plants dont need alot of air circulation..but mold and fungus mite occur. i have had great results with placing the pot in a large zip lock bag and leaving the top un zipped. Good luck-Zach

Hey Wally

Um...what kind of plant IS it exactly? Some CPs don't require as much humiditiy as others. I'm assuming its a sundew. Do you know what kind? Depending on the size of the plant you can always pop a clear plastic cup over the pot (if its not too large or gangly). I just bought a tube of these cups for temporary housing for some plants. It works pretty well. Some air circulation is good. You could try using something underneath the bowl's rim to raise it just a bit off the table so its not a complete seal. I have a nep in a round terrarium with a glass lid but I use two small wads of aluminum foil to raise the lid up about 1/3" on one side. The terrarium stays humid but has fresh air. And the nep is happy as a bug in a rug.

Good luck
Suzanne

i put my vft in a cup and put plastic wrap over it covering it totally and it got wite fuzz why did that happen and mices is to mooses a chick is to chic et

Hi Joel

The white fuzz is probably mold. You will get mold when there is little to no air movement. Stagnant air in a damp environment will encourage fungi growth. A VFT does not require high humidity so there is really no need to seal the cup with plastic wrap. Take the wrap off and let it breathe! Also it can feed naturally if its not sealed. You can put your VFT in a pot (plastic is good to slow evaporation) just like any other plant...keep the soil wet and sit it in a saucer of distilled water (1/2") and your plant should have the humidity it needs. Typically sundews need higher humidity than a VFT.

And BTW...it would be better if you posted a VFT question in the VFT forums. The forums are divided so you can get help by specific plant groups. :)

Suzanne

Back