What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sowing seeds?

Could someone tell me when I should sow seeds of the following:
D. affinis
D. cuneifolia
D. falconeri
D. pygmaea

confused.gif

Drosera affinis is a beautiful (but very rare) South African species, which along with cunefolia would prefer the cool fall weather for germination, and can be sown anytime now through mid winter, but better sooner so the plants will have grown enough to withstand their summer dormancy.

Likewise Drosera pygmaea can be sown anytime as above, but the germination may take a long time, so be patient. I have little experience with pygmy Drosera seed as it is rarely produced, usually requiring 2 clonal variants to effect pollination.

Drosera falconeri is a heat loving species, and my experience with germinating any of the petiolaris seed is slight. I would try to keep the temperature as close to 100F as I could make it, and you should ensure that the seedlings stay about as warm: the plant hates cold wet conditions in any stage of it's cycle, and these conditions will cause damping off of many seedlings.

If you really have affinis(&#33
wink.gif
, I am very interested in learning of a source for some of this seed. Please message me if you can provide me with a source for this. I have attempted various seed so named, but it invariably turns out to be misidentified. Thanks!

Tamlin nailed it dead on. I was wondering where you got cuneifola, im very interested, message me. Thank you-Zach

You are spot on Tamlin, the supplier said that his D. affinis was having an identity crisis so he didn't charge me for the seed, but we'll see what it throws up you never know I could have got a good batch.
The D. cuneifolia was bought (from the same place as affinis) from Triffid Nurseries in the UK. You can contact Andrew Wilkinson at andy@triffidnurseriues.co.uk and ask him to send you the plant and seed list. He took over Cambrian Carnivores website and has yet to relaunch it.

Good Luck and thanks for the info

wink.gif

I have discussed affinis with Andrew. He tries very hard to keep his material accurate, but like the rest of us he occasionally finds himself with nagging doubts. I have been able to help him correct a couple of errors in ID. Triffid Nurseries is a good example of what an ethical nursery should be, and I can only wish that some others would follow his lead it doing everything possible to ascertain the true identity of the stock they deal in.

The affinis seed is likely spatulata, the Great Imposter. Andrew stated the rosettes are flat, prostrate rosettes. This is certainly not affinis based on these observations alone.

Good luck with your seeds!

Back